Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 9th April 2015, 01:57 AM
Project Supporter

Well, I don't mind the games being encased in a frame as long as the visual part retains the native resolution. The problem with my example is that the game is being squished by the additional h-frames and the visuals you are seeing on the screen doesn't even show the correct res.

In your example, it looks like the visual part retains its resolution, except it is adding those borders to compensate the empty space between the visuals and the emulator frame. But, it's hard to tell since both are different sizes.

Last edited by ReyVGM; 9th April 2015 at 02:20 AM.
Old 9th April 2015, 02:49 AM
Project Supporter

So, I've been quietly playing through all of Ocarina of Time. I'm not only using your pixel accurate video plugin, but your reality signal processor plugin alongside Azimer's v0.70 WIP 4. There's so few bugs compared to everything else I've tried.

I've been noting down potential bugs/glitches to look further into, but... since you're close to a new release, and I'd have to take the time to narrow down which plugin is the problem (or if it's an issue with core emulation in v2.3), I'll just wait before going through the process of elimination.

And, yeah, for someone who claims to test these things with the intent of reporting back results, I'm awfully slow. (Kind of like PJ64 development, eh? Eh? )

This setup runs the game at full speed ~90% of the time on my computer, and I find that impressive in this stage of development. I really enjoy the perspective of emulation not as a toy but as a means of technological preservation. Like a museum piece, digitally preserved. I'm really looking forward to when CEN64 begins tackling sound emulation, I'll be really tinkering with it even if it's at 1/5th the speed.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Last edited by camelCaseClosed; 9th April 2015 at 02:54 AM.
Old 9th April 2015, 03:58 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Thanks camelCaseClosed I'd appreciate that, yeah any emulator should have that as its first priority: Create a fully compatible portal between the two different machines no matter how fast, how slow, not really for playing pirated games but to increase the portability of all development, homebrew or otherwise. And yeah CEN tackling audio, that would be a first wouldn't it? :P

About Zelda OOT, I do remember a year back playing through most of that on my RSP (can't remember if gfx was z64gl or angrylion)...the thing I can recall about it was RSP errors coming within the plugin, which were never reproducible. I found it was the main CPU recompiler core in pj64 that occasionally sent the RSP a corrupt display list.

ReyVGM: Well let me know if you find a case of it happening, where there is a N64 screenshot or some case of a game where you do not see it happening on the system itself. I do remember saying that part of VI emulation involves scaling the image to fit the 640x480 canvas--the game is able to control what fraction to multiply the frame buffer dimensions by, either vertical or horizontal.
Old 9th April 2015, 07:23 PM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
ReyVGM: Well let me know if you find a case of it happening, where there is a N64 screenshot or some case of a game where you do not see it happening on the system itself. I do remember saying that part of VI emulation involves scaling the image to fit the 640x480 canvas--the game is able to control what fraction to multiply the frame buffer dimensions by, either vertical or horizontal.
You mean an example like the one I posted?

Well, there's Armorines Project Swarm, All Star Baseball 99-2000, Donald Duck, NBA Jam 99, NBA Jam 200, Rayman 2, Turok 2, Turok 3, Turok Rage Wars, and many others. Mostly hi-res games from Acclaim and Ubisoft.
Do you really need a list of every game or just a few examples?

By the way, I know there are some games that have native borders, and I know there are games smaller than 320x240 that aren't stretched to fit the emulator window, and thus, are encased in a border to compensate for that space. That is just fine because it's keeping the graphical resolution (I really hate stretching).

So, I'm specifically talking about game examples where a native resolution screenshot comes out at a certain resolution and doesn't have any native border, but on the emulator window at the same resolution you do see borders. Which in that specific case, the the visuals are being squished or cutoff by the borders.
Old 9th April 2015, 09:48 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat
where there is a N64 screenshot or some case of a game where you do not see it happening on the system itself.
When I said this. I was talking about a real N64 screenshot, not the hacked screenshots you can get from this plugin before the VI finishes processing the image.

I know that the image doesn't have the borders from scaling the image before the VI filters (which you know is when the screenshots are being taken right) but that's because in the process the VI at that point in time has not yet scaled the image either.

The borders aren't necessarily because of the drawing size being less than 320x240; I think it's more of a technique to draw only a subset of the pixels that wouldn't ordinarily be blocked off by frame screen boundaries as with a television or something.
Old 10th April 2015, 12:21 AM
Project Supporter

My head and eyes hurt and I can't quite understand what you said, so forget about explaining.

I just want to know if this can be fixed/solved? Or if it's something that needs to be solved?
Old 10th April 2015, 02:34 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyVGM View Post
My head and eyes hurt and I can't quite understand what you said, so forget about explaining.

I just want to know if this can be fixed/solved? Or if it's something that needs to be solved?
All I was asking for was proof that this doesn't happen on the real N64 itself.

Whatever it looks like in the BMP screenshots that you take isn't relevant to how the emulation is supposed to be done.
Old 10th April 2015, 05:33 AM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
All I was asking for was proof that this doesn't happen on the real N64 itself.

Whatever it looks like in the BMP screenshots that you take isn't relevant to how the emulation is supposed to be done.
Sorry, I felt like my head was about to explode.
I understand now, you want to know if that behavior also happens in a real N64.

And the answer to that is that I don't know. I searched Airboarder 64 on youtube and no one specifically says they are using a real N64. I found some videos that looked as if it came from a real N64, and it has the borders like your plugin.
But then I saw another video and someone was using your plugin to play the game. So now I'm not sure if the first video I saw was real or not.

As for Turok 2, I remember playing it back in the day, but I don't remember seeing any borders. Then again, I don't remember seeing borders on any game back then unless it was a cutscene.

Last edited by ReyVGM; 10th April 2015 at 05:36 AM.
Old 10th April 2015, 02:04 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Well, it's difficult to tell I guess with only memory, at least memory of seeing the game on a normal television, which possibly is why the extra black bordering squishing the center image in is there to adjust for.

I know there was another screenshot recently from dsx about pac-man that looked like:

Which matches the 3-D screenshot I gave earlier in the previous page, even though, when you hit F3 to take screenshots, you have no black borders for that game either. So during VI scaling and other processing, it's indirectly added as a result of scaling the frame buffer down.
Old 10th April 2015, 06:54 PM
Project Supporter

Ughh god damn it, N64 is a mess.