Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 5th November 2014, 04:11 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank74 View Post
I think that with the new 2.0+ release, Zilmar was wanting to get the Fixed Audio Timing implemented correctly. So when it came to PAL detection, decided to leave it out or not call it.

All for the benefit of netplay, to sync everything together.

Unfortunately, this line seems to never be referenced.

Code:
void CGameSettings::SpeedChanged (int SpeedLimit )
{
	int FullSpeed = g_System->m_SystemType == SYSTEM_PAL ? 50 : 60;
	m_bSyncingToAudio = SpeedLimit == FullSpeed ? m_bSyncToAudio : false;
}
If Fixed Audio Timing is ON in a PAL game, the VI's hover around 51, 52 VI/S, the same as playing a (U) game which will hover around 62/63 VI/S. So, that's where my assumption of Fixed Audio Timing needing to be on comes from.

I can see it was thought about at least. With a workaround using the ScreenHertz=50 option to set in the rdb.
Ohhhhhh i see where your coming at there.
In his original code, yes that would of broken PAL and caused it to automatically assume that its not syncing to audio. Should function properly though if SetHertz has been called with the correct value dependent on the system.
(I think i understood your post correctly)

BTW Fixed Audio Timing does work, and yes it is primarily for netplay to ensure that everything across different clients is called at the same time.
And as far as I know it functions exactly as it should but has no automatic mechanisms so you have to play around with the AiCountPerBytes from what I remember right.
Old 5th November 2014, 05:32 PM

Fixed audio timing screws up frame rate in all games by adding extta stuttering and unstable vi/s. So if you play solo its a useless option. If jabo audio plugin needs it i suggest to use a different sound plugin. One that doesnt need it ofc.
Old 5th November 2014, 06:15 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasoulis View Post
Fixed audio timing screws up frame rate in all games by adding extta stuttering and unstable vi/s. So if you play solo its a useless option. If jabo audio plugin needs it i suggest to use a different sound plugin. One that doesnt need it ofc.
Iirc, it only messes up the VI/s when both FAT and audio sync is enabled. However, I remember the audio seeming worse, with FAT enabled.
Old 10th November 2014, 09:53 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Hmm, actually seeing if I can workout what Zilmar was thinking with his counter per byte calculation method that he never ended up finishing. IF anyone has any thoughts on this shoot me a message. Also might upload a new build of Project64 soonish, managed to fix a couple of problems and re-introduce plugin hotswapping. Plus a user has been working on improving the accuracy of the RSP code.

EDIT: Trying to improve the fixed audio timing is probably going to take time, can't quite work out why it produces so much stutters.

Last edited by deathdroid; 10th November 2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10th November 2014, 05:22 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathdroid View Post
Hmm, actually seeing if I can workout what Zilmar was thinking with his counter per byte calculation method that he never ended up finishing.
I wish I knew more about audio, but I think Mupen64 and Apollo did audio properly. I've tested both with AQZ's netplay input plugin and both didn't desync, while 1964 and PJ64(without FAT enabled) did. I'm going to be studying emulator code from various sources, as I'm trying to fix emulator issues that have bugged me for months ;/ .

So I suggest skimming through the source code of both those emulators.

Quote:
Also might upload a new build of Project64 soonish, managed to fix a couple of problems and re-introduce plugin hotswapping.
Nice! I never figured out how to do that. I'll have to check that out as well.
Old 10th November 2014, 10:12 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Hmm, actually seeing if I can workout what Zilmar was thinking with his counter per byte calculation method that he never ended up finishing. IF anyone has any thoughts on this shoot me a message. Also might upload a new build of Project64 soonish, managed to fix a couple of problems and re-introduce plugin hotswapping. Plus a user has been working on improving the accuracy of the RSP code.

EDIT: Trying to improve the fixed audio timing is probably going to take time, can't quite work out why it produces so much stutters.
Nice, also see if you can figure out why some RDB settings are not talking to the gfx plugins. For example, Clear Frame =0|1|2 and Emulate Clear, are not working at all. But Culling does work. And I can't find a reference to any of these options in the new 2.1.0.1 source.
Old 10th November 2014, 10:18 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Nice, also see if you can figure out why some RDB settings are not talking to the gfx plugins. For example, Clear Frame =0|1|2 and Emulate Clear, are not working at all. But Culling does work. And I can't find a reference to any of these options in the new 2.1.0.1 source.
Some of those sound like the options in Jabo's video plugin. I haven't seen them in PJ64's Glide.
Old 11th November 2014, 09:06 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
I wish I knew more about audio, but I think Mupen64 and Apollo did audio properly. I've tested both with AQZ's netplay input plugin and both didn't desync, while 1964 and PJ64(without FAT enabled) did. I'm going to be studying emulator code from various sources, as I'm trying to fix emulator issues that have bugged me for months ;/ .

So I suggest skimming through the source code of both those emulators.

Nice! I never figured out how to do that. I'll have to check that out as well.
Hmmm yeah I'll have to take a look at how Mupen handles all of its timing, as Project64 traditionally relies completely on the audio plugin for all of that stuff.

Quote:
This would be a problem with Jabo's plugin talking to Project64. Project64 doesn't personally handle any of those individual options, fairly sure its all just passed to the emulator and the emulator passes back info. Have to chase up Jabo to fix up missing RDB config problems.
Old 11th November 2014, 05:41 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hmmm yeah I'll have to take a look at how Mupen handles all of its timing, as Project64 traditionally relies completely on the audio plugin for all of that stuff.
I tried looking at Apollo yesterday, but it's too different .

The thing about mupen was, I was able to find the code responsible for synching audio to video, but cannot find the code responsible for having consistent audio (this is what's important for netplay).

Anyway, I've never been able to compile Mupen64 lol. Let me know if you get that working .