Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v1.6

Old 2nd December 2010, 10:22 PM

Default Audio issue (clicking noise)

Right as the title says i got a clicking noise in the background when playing pretty much any rom. Now if i check audio sync the problem is gone but it causes abit of slowdown from time to time.

The problem is this, this only started since last night and i play on the emulator daily, i never had issues without this sync on till last night. (now i play on project64k aswell which i realise is not supported here, but the problem started occuring on both my versions simultaneously.).

So i ran some tests, using mupen64 with the jabo directsound 1.6 plugin without the sync enabled, the problem isnt there. (edit: ignore this, i just realised it has 2 versions of audio/game sync, one obviously in the plugin and one in the options itself, the one in the options itself was enabled by default, turning it off caused the same problem.)

So then i ran a system restore to 4days ago when i was certain this problem wasnt there, but that didnt fix it either.
Then installed the installer version of project64 1.6 and uinstalled it so it would remove any possible registry entries and serve as a fresh install.

The problem is still there, im running out of ideas why this is caused and the audio sync isnt really an option due to the slowdown.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks , Nuckels

Last edited by Nuckels; 2nd December 2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:39 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

What kind of slowdown is it? Like does the sound come out better and no stuttering or clicking, with slower animation to the graphics?

Sometimes I see it's better to disable the speed limiter (F4 if advanced options aren't hidden) even though audio sync is on.

Have you tried Azimer's audio plugin instead of Jabo's DirectSound?
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswedlow View Post
What kind of slowdown is it? Like does the sound come out better and no stuttering or clicking, with slower animation to the graphics?

Sometimes I see it's better to disable the speed limiter (F4 if advanced options aren't hidden) even though audio sync is on.

Have you tried Azimer's audio plugin instead of Jabo's DirectSound?
Slowdown as in from time to time it drops 5 fps, and sometimes goes down to 25 with it on. (the sound at this point starts lagging to)

Azimers has the same clicking noise.
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:56 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Try disabling "Emulate/Simulate AI" in the config for Azimer's HLE.
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Try disabling "Emulate/Simulate AI" in the config for Azimer's HLE.
Same stuff, also tried a few other audio plugins, unless i force a sync the clicking is there.

The problem wasnt here 2days ago tho so im very confused where this came from. (obviously tried other programs to see if it wasnt something on the hardware side, but everything seems fine there in and out of games.)
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:07 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Do you mean other programs don't have the issue?

What about like other emulators, like 1964?

And there's another sound plugin with sync you can test that is supplied with Nemu64 if you want to try that.
Attachment mirror of Nemu64 0.8. http://forum.pj64-emu.com/attachment...3&d=1228708724
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Do you mean other programs don't have the issue?

What about like other emulators, like 1964?

And there's another sound plugin with sync you can test that is supplied with Nemu64 if you want to try that.
Attachment mirror of Nemu64 0.8.

I ment as in, i thaught my soundcard was slowly dieing, but the clicking noise is only linked to n64, it happens on 2 emulators with multiple different plugins.

But i was more looking for a fix because it wasnt like this 3days ago (because i quite enjoy playing it online with friends on the project64k version and that doesnt give me much room with swapping audio plugins, and seeing as this happens on both the project64k, and updated project64 1.6, it must be caused by the same bug, most likely software related on my side id guess.)
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:52 PM
Project Supporter

... Are you sure it's not your speakers? It's probably not, but ya never know.
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:59 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
I ment as in, i thaught my soundcard was slowly dieing, but the clicking noise is only linked to n64, it happens on 2 emulators with multiple different plugins.

But i was more looking for a fix because it wasnt like this 3days ago (because i quite enjoy playing it online with friends on the project64k version and that doesnt give me much room with swapping audio plugins, and seeing as this happens on both the project64k, and updated project64 1.6, it must be caused by the same bug, most likely software related on my side id guess.)
That's not automatically true; Project64k uses an older implementation of a sound device and timing controls and could be using the same RDB controls as the 1.6 version, which might be affecting audio timing if there is a particular game.

You also said to disregard your note about Mupen64 because of the internal frame limiter option, which would mark the pretend that you've only tried different audio plugins with Project64. The only thing needed with Azimer's HLE really is disable emulate/simulate AI; turning on the sync option for that plugin would actually make it worse rather than better.

What graphics plugin are you using with the test emulator?
Does this happen with multiple games, other games like Mario64 and not games similar to each other or more complex?

And it could be a software change on your system that started the issue--no easy way of knowing what exactly that would be though.

Last edited by HatCat; 3rd December 2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
That's not automatically true; Project64k uses an older implementation of a sound device and timing controls and could be using the same RDB controls as the 1.6 version, which might be affecting audio timing if there is a particular game.

You also said to disregard your note about Mupen64 because of the internal frame limiter option, which would mark the pretend that you've only tried different audio plugins with Project64. The only thing needed with Azimer's HLE really is disable emulate/simulate AI; turning on the sync option for that plugin would actually make it worse rather than better.

What graphics plugin are you using with the test emulator?
Does this happen with multiple games, other games like Mario64 and not games similar to each other or more complex?

And it could be a software change on your system that started the issue--no easy way of knowing what exactly that would be though.
Tried different speakers/audio ports.

It happens in all roms (some less often tho) and i use jabo's 3d plugin.

And ya i thaught so to about the software but unless it was a windows update (seeing as those happen pretty much in the background) it seems pretty unlikely, i rarely install new stuff so.