Old 9th March 2014, 12:30 AM

Default Mystical Ninja staring goemon issues.

I just downloaded this emulator and got my 360 controller configed to run Goemon.

I set the graphics to run at 16 bit colors and lowest resolution on earth for fullscreen mode, turned off my internet switch, disabled antivirus, closed every program (and there isn't that much background processes because i recently whipped my computer CLEAN and uninstalled all the bloatware again, and so there's almost nothing on the computer), And set all my NVidia controlls to run performance performance performance, set my Windows 7 interface to classic etc etc (basically setting everything to as primitive as possible that can increase performance) but it STILL plays slowly??

How come my computer can play Call of Duty modern warfare 3, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, And Need for Speed Hot persuit (The PS3/Xbox360 version) ALL PS3-like quality games of the modern age with over 30GB worth of size with absolutely No problem on medium to medium-high settings, But a little 64 bit Goemon that's like a couple MB big, it plays really choppy???

Shouldn't it be like a supercomputer if i play simple N64 games?
The game plays fast if im standing still, but the moment i start running or the camera pans to face Goemon's direction, it goes all choppy and slow.

I mean, it's not the best computer in the world. but it can play all of those newage games, Why not Goemon?

I use windows 7 Sony Vaio, Nvidia Geforce 310M with CUDA. Core I3 2.13GHZ and 6GB RAM.

This is so confusing...

Last edited by retuks; 9th March 2014 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11th March 2014, 08:26 PM
Project Supporter

This game is notorious for having issues with the default gfx plugin (the rsp even?) change the graphics plugin from Jabo's to Glide and/or switching your rsp plugin Hatcat has made a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by retuks View Post
How come my computer can play Call of Duty modern warfare 3, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, And Need for Speed Hot persuit (The PS3/Xbox360 version) ALL PS3-like quality games of the modern age with over 30GB worth of size with absolutely No problem on medium to medium-high settings, But a little 64 bit Goemon that's like a couple MB big, it plays really choppy???

I use windows 7 Sony Vaio, Nvidia Geforce 310M with CUDA. Core I3 2.13GHZ and 6GB RAM.

This is so confusing...
That's because you absolutely can't compare them, so don't even try. There are many more factors at play when emulating an N64 game than being able to directly run PC games on your hardware. I'm not gonna bother giving a giant rundown of differences, simply know that you NEVER EVER EVER (...) EVER EVER should compare normal PC games to anything emulation related, because they are completely different in their requirements
Old 24th March 2014, 03:39 AM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by retuks View Post
but it STILL plays slowly??
try using Mudlords Rice video plugin.

It has two video modes, DirectX&OpenGL.

Last edited by furryfangs; 24th March 2014 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Little More Info k thx bye.
Old 24th March 2014, 04:22 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryfangs View Post
try using Mudlords Rice video plugin.

It has two video modes, DirectX&OpenGL.
Oh GOSH no, that plugin has numerous issues with the HUD being corrupted and the textures going to hell on either API mode. Rice is good for hi-res textures, but not for general game play (and is very outdated). Try Glide 64, it's far superior, runs the game much better and has better overall stability

The default Jabo plugin runs like garbage for this game.
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 10600
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1 TB HDDs
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way
Old 24th March 2014, 05:24 AM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_randomizer View Post
Oh GOSH no, that plugin has numerous issues with the HUD being corrupted and the textures going to hell on either API mode.
Well i don't know how you came across those issues.
Old 25th March 2014, 04:29 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryfangs View Post
Well i don't know how you came across those issues.
Rice video has a lot of issues with a lot of games, Glide 64 runs the game perfectly. For hi-res texture packs, Rice Video is king, but, the way the D3D and OpenGL API is handled is crap. I'll see if I can find a video.

Old 25th March 2014, 05:12 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Actually I wrote the 5.9.9 RiceVideo INI for this game and tested it. Rice's Video Plugin bypasses the slow skybox render issue that Jabo's plugin or Glide64 (some versions on some types of cards) has and if I remember correctly rendered things pretty flawlessly.

The problem is that RiceVideo relies too much on HLE hacks, but that doesn't mean you can say it's a shit plugin for every single game. It specializes as the best option for a few games.
Old 25th March 2014, 07:40 PM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
The problem is that RiceVideo relies too much on HLE hacks, but that doesn't mean you can say it's a shit plugin for every single game. It specializes as the best option for a few games.
exactly comrade, and if you are going to play a more well known title like mario or zelda you can always just switch back.
Old 26th March 2014, 04:58 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
Actually I wrote the 5.9.9 RiceVideo INI for this game and tested it. Rice's Video Plugin bypasses the slow skybox render issue that Jabo's plugin or Glide64 (some versions on some types of cards) has and if I remember correctly rendered things pretty flawlessly.

The skybox wasn't the issue I had, I had constant texture corruption and an upside down HUD, er rather, it was broken in Rice Video. Didn't know you wrote an ini file with it. Anyways, I never had much like with Rice Video TBH, hence my bias, but, c'est la vie.