Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 1st January 2017, 10:13 PM

Default Controller Reccomendations?

Hi Everyone! I am new here. I used the project 64 emulator a long time ago (a decade ago) and have been wanting to get back into N64 gaming, especially with the excellent fan created Mario 64 variations that are out now. I've been thinking about my options as far as controllers go.

I remember when N64 was in its heyday, lots of companies made aftermarket N64 controllers, and none of them felt right. Even the ones that at first glance looked like they were the same size and shape as the official controller didn't feel like the real thing (there's a joke to be made here )

Now I see two USB aftermarket "N64" controllers available on the net, one by Mars Devices and the other by Retrolink. I did some searching here and it seems that there are a lot of threads about the retrolink controller, most of them trying to solve compatibility issues (yikes!) I couldn't find any information on the Mars Devices controller yet. Has anyone tried it with P64?

My questions are, do any of these aftermarket USB controllers work well with P64 and feel/function just like an "official" N64 controller? Are there others besides the Mars and Retrolink that I should look into? Is my best bet still to get the real thing + a USB adapter?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by flying_fish; 1st January 2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 2nd January 2017, 02:13 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

But the n64 controller is horrible

Last edited by ExtremeDude2; 4th January 2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old 2nd January 2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeDude2 View Post
But the n64 controller is horible
Haha, it might be horrible to many, but I played so much N64 back in the day that nothing else feels right. It's part nostalgia, part permanently ingrained muscle memory. For me anyway . I also didn't do much gaming after N64 (other than keyboard and mouse control PC games), so I haven't grown used to the newer controllers.

Last edited by flying_fish; 2nd January 2017 at 05:12 AM.
Old 2nd January 2017, 11:55 AM

I don't know the N64 aftermarket controllers that you mentioned. Personally I am using the original N64 controllers with an N64 adapter (this one: https://www.amazon.com/MAYFLASH-N64-...dp/B002B9FIUU/ ) for years now and I can highly recommend this if you need the real retro feeling
Old 2nd January 2017, 12:05 PM

I don't know the N64 aftermarket controllers that you mentioned. Personally I am using the original N64 controllers with an N64 adapter (this one: https://www.amazon.com/MAYFLASH-N64-...dp/B002B9FIUU/ ) for years now and I can highly recommend this if you need the real retro feeling
Old 4th January 2017, 01:56 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeDude2 View Post
horible
So is your n00b spelling.

Get a million dollar keyboard and get on my level.
Old 4th January 2017, 07:43 PM

Thumbs up

I am using the original N64 controllers along with a Mayflash N64 to USB adapter since years and can highly recommend it.
Old 5th January 2017, 12:16 AM

IF you still have your old N64 controller AND it's peripherals I'd recommend googling raphnet adapter. His site offers a V3 (the one to get!) adapter as well as a plugin. Now, the plugin isn't necessary to use an N64 controller, but it is tailor made for Project 64 (Mupen plugin available as well). With it there is NO need for ANY button configuration! Also with the plugin YOU CAN USE a RUMBLE PAK, Control Pak, Transfer PAK, etc...!

IMO, the old "Holy Grail" Adaptoid adapter is completely obsolete both in terms of functionality (32bit only) and price (VERY expensive).

Now, I made it a point in saying "IF" at the top. The adapter alone isn't too expensive, but if you don't already have a controller and peripherals lying around beforehand buying an adapter, N64 controller, Control PAK/RUMBLE PAK may be a little more than you'd be comfortable paying (aprx. $60-$70 total). Then again I'm a bit of a frugal guy.
Old 5th January 2017, 03:31 AM

Where can you source original N64 contollers from?? i have not even seen one for a long time
Old 5th January 2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daarky View Post
I am using the original N64 controllers along with a Mayflash N64 to USB adapter since years and can highly recommend it.
Hi daarky

Does the aiming work? Like in Goldeneye/Perfect Dark?

Im having issues with mine (cheap chinese made controller...). My analogstick is not sensitiv enough to aim lol. The crosshair just rushes across the screen and i can in no way get hold of a target.. Really annoying.
And i also cant do the puzzles for opening new worlds in banjo-tooie.

i though about getting the mayflash one, so the same like you have. I still have my original controllers, theyre used but work fine.

An answer form you would help me very much

Thanks