Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v1.6

Old 8th January 2011, 08:32 AM

Default Help a new guy, Using Crossover to run PJ64 on Mac

As the title says, I just started using the emulator today and would love to continue using it and playing the old games i loved, such as Super Mario 64 and Paper Mario,

They were both really buggy though, and after research i concluded i needed to plugins to make the games run a lot better, mainly the rice plugin and Glide64.

I have tried countless times to get these plugins to work by downloading them and copying them straight into the plugin folder of the emulator, and continually get the error message that it failed to load.

I haven't been able to find any info about how to place these files into the correct folders using a Mac, and hopefully someone can explain how to do that to me, or if I am missing something obvious to do or a file i need.

Again, I thank anyone who can help and enjoy playing the games on PJ64, I just want them to work.

P.S. ( If it helps, Super Mario 64's screen when i entered a world would blur together and in Paper Mario, after a certain cut scene it would pop up saying it could not be cached and would have a bunch of numbers every time it poped up.)

Thanks

Spivey2474
Old 8th January 2011, 09:22 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

sorry, i only help people running the software on a system within the minimum requirements.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 8th January 2011, 05:33 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

XD something like that.

Well I don't have any Crossover experience either, but you could try forcing a defined directory to load plugins from in the emulator options.
Old 25th January 2012, 03:38 PM

I have the same problem, any ideas? I see on the crossover games support page people have project64 running with the rice video plugin. If someone has done this can they tell us how they got past the "failed to load..." errors?
Old 20th May 2014, 01:15 PM

Default Mac Users Look Here

I too am using a mac (macbook 13" running LION, 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 MHZ DDR2 SDRAM, Graphics: Intel GMA 950, GPU.)

Took me a while to figure where to put my plugins for project64.
You have to open crossover app, go to up top, Configure>Manage Bottles.
A window comes up and remember when you made a bottle of windows xp to run project 64? select that bottle on the left. Now look on the right. See the button that says "Open C: Drive" ??. Click that ish yo.
Then click program files, and you should see project64 folder and in there you want to put your plugins that way they are right with the app. It is important to have them right with the app. Some files lay right beside it, some lay in folders with specific names right beside the app. All files are to be within up in that pj64 folder.
When I finally got the Rice plugin working, Ocarina of Time still didn't work not one bit better. The ground is not there, and link is just an outline of fuzzy speckles... any ADVICE HELP is appreciated.
Mupen64, the mac version of PJ64 OoT works great but controller mapping is a pain and no cheats and i know it will end up having problems like sixtyforce (another mac version of PJ64) like when i played through half of majoras mask and then completing the rest was imossible due to graphical issues...
Old 20th May 2014, 09:16 PM
Project Supporter

Neither mupen nor sixtyforce have any direct connection with PJ64 apart from the plugin spec, sixtyforce is closed source and outdated you should use Mupen64plus. The standard interface is console only, if you want a GUI you can download M64Py instead... The best graphics plugin on there is glide64mk2 though your hardware looks like it is too bad to use the OpenGL features required, but you can give it a try, it will be an overall better experience than CrossOver + PJ64 either way and Rice should be working better if your hardware can't handle Glide

Last edited by V1del; 20th May 2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 21st May 2014, 02:35 PM

If you're using a mac, it has OpenGL built-in so Glide64 should work with the right wrapper. not sure otherwise, i have no idea!
Old 29th May 2014, 01:06 PM

Default Rice Plug In Worked

After i restarted pj 64 a couple times i got it working on PJ64 on mac and i think i got the texture pack addition working too. It works perfect so far besides sound isnt totally smooth and sometimes i have to turn all the cheats off.
I tried Mupen for a bit but it was too basic and it was too hard to map the controller and it had no cheats, PJ64 is the only thing i will use period.
Old 29th May 2014, 02:52 PM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurice0 View Post
I tried Mupen for a bit but it was too basic and it was too hard to map the controller and it had no cheats
That's wrong, plain and simple. I linked you to mupen64plus for the reason that it's newer and it has cheat support, I linked to m64py so that you may have an easier time configuring the controller. Define "basic"? Use whatever floats your boat but don't spread fud.
Old 4th June 2014, 12:22 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Idk why you'd prefer using pj64 with crossover instead of using a native mac emulator... People and their brand name products.... I'm glad I don't follow that anymore.