Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 31st March 2016, 12:08 AM

Default Is there a controller that has rumble?

I have been playing games using my logitech gamepad. But i am unable to play alot of games because of the layout. The layout doesn't work well or i forget which buttons do what. The great thing about my logitech controller is that the rumble feature works because it has rumble built into it. But i can't use it, espcially for games such as goldeneye because of the z-trigger. I need a n64 controller.

I really need an n64 controller. So i have decided to get one. I plan to get the MayFlash adapter. I heard it doesn't support rumble??

The things is, all of the 3rd party and nintendo controller don't have rumble built into them. As i remember it was a separate adapter.

Zelda is important for rumble. How am i able to get rumble working for a nintendo controller. Does anyone know of any controller that resembles the n64 controller which has rumble built into it or do i have to also buy a rumble pack for the controller..

So really, what do i do?

buy Mayflash adapter & N64 controller & rumble pack

or

N64 controller usb with rumble pack

help!

What does everyone else do, just play games without the rumble feature?

thanks,

Last edited by zelda_fan; 31st March 2016 at 02:00 AM.
Old 31st March 2016, 02:01 AM

Well, I'd recommend the following...

1. Download from the following link a driver I've modified for near across the board compatibility with RUMBLE for XInput based controllers.

http://steamcommunity.com/discussion...7867790900215/

2. If you are CERTAIN you want an N64 controller to use with the emulator I recommend visiting the following site.

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products...pter/index.php

The second site has an adapter available that works with genuine RUMBLE Paks (1st and 3rd party) and as far as I know is the ONLY N64 controller adapter to do so for N64 controllers. The only other to accomplish this is the VERY RARE Adaptoid (which only supports 32bit os's, BTW).

Now, the adapter in the second link is JUST the N64 version ($21.13 USD). Because the N64 and GCN controller are similarly programmed in nature an adapter is also available ($24.38 USD) that allows BOTH controllers, BUT not at the same time.

So... What should you do?

Q: Buy Mayflash adapter & N64 controller & rumble pack?

A: If you want to use an N64 controller AND RUMBLE then DON'T get the Mayflash! RUMBLE WILL NOT WORK!!! Purchase the Adapter from the link.

Q: What does everyone else do, just play games without the rumble feature?

A: Most likely use a PS3/4, Xbox 360, or Xbox One controller, but DO try the driver from the FIRST link I provided if utilizing RUMBLE is your bottom line when using an standard gamepad like your Logitech.

I bought the adapter from the link I provided and it was delivered to me in 4 days from Canada to U.S. Granted I already had an N64 controller AND RUMBLE Pak from years passed so all I had to do was get the adapter. The adapter is probably DOUBLE what other adapters are priced at, but what you are paying for here is AUTHENTICITY. Again, NO OTHER ADAPTER as far as I know offers RUMBLE support for N64 controllers and that's what you get here.

Last edited by NUK3 TH3 WHAL35; 31st March 2016 at 02:04 AM.
Old 31st March 2016, 03:10 AM

The problem with playing with an xbox controller or ps4, is that they are missing the z trigger.

Mine looks almost exactly like the logitech gamepad f710

It's got 4 "trigger" buttons which are for my 2 index and middle fingers. Too bad it didn't have 6 triggers. Then i could use my Ring fingers as triggers. The c-buttons on the 64 are missing on the gamepad also, and using the stick is annoying.

This gamepad would of been great for the 64 but its still missing the z-trigger
Sabrent 6 button gamepad

But that one sucks too and there is no start button.

The 64 is unique and all the games were designed for that type of controller. It's hard to use any other one.

I can't seem to find any good n64 controller, so i have to get the orignal n64 controller stlye.

The only one that might work is:
Hori-Pad-Turbo EX2

But i think it's no longer available and only for xbox. it's got 6 buttons and triggers

I will most likely have to go with the adapter you sent me.

I like zelda and rumble is important in that game.

I tried to see if rumble works in project64 using my logitech controller(goldeneye). It doesn't work. In the settings my rumble works, when i press buttons, but in the game it wont rumble.

I've only tried gamecube and it works fine. using dolphin

I will try to use that driver to see if rumble will work on project64.
Old 31st March 2016, 03:25 AM

I forgot to also ask. What about the gamecube mayflash, does it support rumble? I thought i read somewhere that mayflash does support rumble for the gamecube using the dolphin.

So really im better of just getting the n64 adapter from the link you sent me. Although the price difference is only 4 bucks. I might as well get the gamecube with n64 adapter on that site. It looks like a good product.

Last edited by zelda_fan; 31st March 2016 at 03:50 AM.
Old 31st March 2016, 04:48 AM

Default Controller Adapters

I'm not sure about the GC mayflash and whether it's RUMBLE works. I'm leaning towards no just because it came off as a bit of a "breakthrough" when a driver was developed for the Wii U GC controller adapter for PC use. New Dolphin builds actually have a specific RUMBLE setting for this adapter. The adapter in the link I gave you DOES support RUMBLE fof GC controllers as I can verify this myself.

As for Xbox and Playstation pads it's VERY doable.

A=A
B=X
L & R=Bumpers
Z=RT
C-Buttons=RS
Analog=LS
D-Pad=D-Pad
Start=Start

In a previous GoldenEye related post I describe how to configure the pad (or ANY similarly layed out pad) to a completely modernized one that REALLY changes the way you play.

I feel however you want as authentic a feel as possible. As for the price... yeah it's only a few more dollars, but if you've got a GC controller lying around you've got another gamepad at your disposal.
Old 1st April 2016, 01:13 AM

I've got 2 gamecube controller lying around that i've had for years. I used to be heavy into gaming before i owned a computer. I've never got back into gaming until i got a good enough computer to handle all emulators. I love playing from my computer. Tv is too old school for me. I am glued to my computer so why not play games from my computer.

Too bad nintendo didn't make a "Steam" like online place where you can buy their games.

What i really hate is configuring the controller each time for different games. It's most games they tell you press "A" and the A is in blue colour. So it's quick i don't even have to think. But with my controller i have to remember where i programmed the button. It slows me down. Also i spent years playing the n64 for hours. I love this system i remember all the controls for most games.

I tried putting the c-buttons on the analog stick because i don't have a choice anywhere to put it. But for some games like castlevania the c-buttons and b button have to be close together so i can use both weapons quickly. The analog button won't let me do this.

I just bought a n64 controller(japanese controller) in good shape on ebay and a nintendo rumble pak(usa). Hopefully they are compatible together. I read online the rumble pak should work with a japanese controller. I also read on the guys website that his adapter works with japanese controller. The controller stick was in good space.

All i need is the adapter.

I saw there is a new 3rd gen adapter. But they are all sold out. I hope i can get that one. It looks better, If not i will get the 2nd gen n64/gamecube adapter.

I tried the driver today, but rumble did not work with my Logitech Rumblepad 2. I think it's because i am using project64 v1.6

I also tried to download the newest project 64 but chrome is telling me there is a virus in it and it blocking me from downloading it.

Can't wait! to get this all working. I will post updates here about it.

yay!

Last edited by zelda_fan; 1st April 2016 at 01:24 AM.
Old 1st April 2016, 05:16 AM

Well, if you want a Steam like experience with your ROMs you can read this thread here where I describe how to do it.

http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=5601

As for the adapter I'd just check every day or so for 3rd Gen restocking. Currently it says a few weeks, but who's to say when THAT was first posted? A few weeks could be tomorrow or the next day for all I know. The 3rd gen offers updates, early progress of transferring saves to and from REAL Mem Paks, and a posible future of Mem Pak integration.

Of course if you're more of an impulse buyer you can just order the previous gen. Still get RUMBLE support either way.

Lastly, your controller and RUMBLE Pak combo will be fine. As a matter of fact I have the OPPOSITE combo; I've got a U.S. controller and Japanese RUMBLE Pak.

Best of luck!

Last edited by NUK3 TH3 WHAL35; 1st April 2016 at 05:19 AM.
Old 4th April 2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_fan View Post
I saw there is a new 3rd gen adapter. But they are all sold out. I hope i can get that one. It looks better, If not i will get the 2nd gen n64/gamecube adapter.

They're currently back in stock!

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products...gen3/index.php

$21.20 USD!
Old 5th April 2016, 08:20 PM

I've emailed him and i've also sent him a message via his ebay store but no answer anywhere.

Has anyone ever tried to contact him? What is his support like? So far no support.

I'd like to buy it via his ebay store because they accept credit cards there, but on his website they just accept just paypal.

But he's not replying.

I'm starting to get a feeling that if buy it and then if i have a problem or questions, he won't reply.

should i get an adaptoid instead?

i found one on ebay, it's a little expensive but if it works, then it's worth it,

i just want a working adapter so i can start playing

Last edited by zelda_fan; 6th April 2016 at 02:09 AM.
Old 7th April 2016, 07:36 PM

What! I got it without going through PAYPAY just fine

DON'T get the Adaptoid! The reason being is that it is NOT SUPPORTED on 64bit OS's. I wouldn't even get it if you DO have a 32bit OS unless you have something like Windows XP!

It's too much of a gamble, IMO!

You will play my friend! YOU... WILL... PLAY...!

Try going here to his main site:

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products...gen3/index.php (the page YOU want)

Go to "Add to Cart"

On the newly opened page, at the bottom choose where you want it shipped (USA for me) then click Apply.

"I'm" not buying another, but AM going through this process as I'm typing just to try and make it as clear to you as possible. Doing this, with shipping, it comes to $27.03 USD. MUCH CHEAPER than the ($90?) Adaptoid.

After hitting apply after choosing the country to ship, (still on same page) you'll now be able to choose "Checkout with a credit card" (what you want!)

Proceed to fill out the proper info in accordance to your credit/gift/debit/etc.. card and BUY!

In regards to getting in contact with the guy I've contacted him and he's been GREAT! Granted, it may take about a week for him to get back to you, but he will. As a matter of fact the latest updated firmware allows the adapter to be used alongside something called X360CE. It's a program that tricks the PC into seeing just about ANY gamepad as an Xbox 360 controller (including N64/GCN controllers). I recently played through the remastered PC version of Resident Evil 0 using a GameCube controller with NO issue. It worked, RUMBLE and all.

The reason I bring that up is because prior to that update you COULDN'T. The reason being is that using the adapter and X360CE the RUMBLE function would start but NEVER end. It'd just keep constantly RUMBLING!

Now, who's is responsible for that firmware being updated to address (and FIX) the issue I just described...? Your's truly!

Here is the E-Mail address I used to contact him:

raph@raphnet.net

Open up whatever you use for E-Mail and send questions or bug reports to THAT!

GOOD LUCK!

P.S.

Updating the adapter's firmware can be tricky, so If you ARE able to get the Raphnet adapter and you need to update it (unless it's updated prior to shipping) I'll do MY best to explain how to go about doing it.

Last edited by NUK3 TH3 WHAL35; 7th April 2016 at 10:52 PM.