Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 18th March 2017, 03:44 PM

Thank you for adding to this thread, all help is appreciated. I think I've previously read an old thread you'd started about the frame clipping issue, which as you'll know has now been sorted.

I've yet to try any other emulators recently and may give 1964 a go if I can find the time. What did you mean though by the PJ64 no cheats part please? I don't have any selected but I assume from what you're saying that there's a cheat option that may be selected by default that I can deselect? Sorry, I'm not near the computer to check.

As for adjusting the config file, I might get a quick chance to have a look tomorrow if I'm lucky and play with a few settings.

I was meant to have some friends over in the week to test out the pickups issue that has hopefully been resolved but we had to cancel due to work commitments. Anyway, if all goes well they'll be over Monday night and we'll see what happens.

Thanks to you both for your help

Justin
Old 18th March 2017, 05:19 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Are you planing a MK64 party?

If that is the case you will want the cheats enabled for that game if you are playing more that 2 players. When emulated the game adjusts it movement pace and FPS on the real HW so that the experience you get is not slowed down by the extra render windows. (moar detail here) http://tasvideos.org/GameResources/N...4/Patches.html

This cheat can be disabled by enabling debuger mode in advance settings and manually turning off fix game fixes. These are just cheat codes that are stored in the .RDB file (can manually be deleted from there)

I don't think this cheat is what is causing your slower times tough. Things like input lag, and PJ64 inaccurate timing are probably to blame. What controller plugin are you using? This too can have extended input ranges on the controllers causing longer times for the input.. A good example id SSB64 on the character select screen. the real HW the cursor moves apx. 3/4s the speed of the N-Rage plugin default.

Your Monday party sounds fun!!!
Old 18th March 2017, 05:32 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin8571 View Post
Hello,

Also, there's a momentary slowdown when a lightning is used. When you use a lightning the other three players spin for a couple of seconds and it's during that time slowdown is evident.

Justin
What Video plugins are you using? Do they all slowdown during this animation?

Can you use something like DXtory to enable a frame counter?
Old 18th March 2017, 05:42 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

@AIO

I'm very interested in this threads RNG claim now.. Thanks for pointing it out. Last time I did 3 player I thought something was off (had drinks though).

Has there been any discussions regarding RNG and audio anomalies in the past?

I know that I reported azimer audio issues with SSB64 and the RNG toybox character, and Star Wars Racer (Sebulba) issue.

Here is the formula for MK64
The randomness for the item selection works as follows:
Formula: (RNGValue + ABRFrames + RaceFrames + LastItem) % 100

RNG Value: Returned value of random number call giving a random number from 0 to 99
A/B/R Buttons: Counter goes up each frame (29.97fps) that on of these buttons is pressed. Can go up by 1, 2, or 3 depending on how many of them are pressed at once (or more if using more than 1 controller).
Race Frames: Counter that goes up each frame (59.94fps) during a race (including startup with Lakitu and points screens)
Last Selected Item: Last item table number that was produced from the formula above

- I don't see Audio times to this. Only time - MK64 may need more GS codes to alter the math on the RNG when 30FPS pace hack is used?

http://tasvideos.org/GameResources/N...t64.html#Items

Last edited by theboy181; 18th March 2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 18th March 2017, 06:56 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Talking

Quote:
There are all sorts of settings, all of which are set to default from when I installed the emulator so I'm not sure whether they're optimised for Mario Kart or not.

It can definitely run the game faster as when I deselect Limit FPS the game absolutely flies, but way too fast to be played. I wonder if there's a way of only slightly increasing the FPS to slightly increase the game speed?

Thanks again

Justin
The default settings are probaably not the most optimized, but I doubt the optimizations will help with this issue. For tweaking the emulator's speed, you can change Screenhertz as theboy181 suggested. You're welcome Justin. I appriate all the testing you've done and the feedback you have given. This is a great opportunity for emulation to be improved. A lot of people criticize PJ64, without even letting us know about their issue. THey somehow expect us to know everything..

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboy181 View Post
@AIO

I'm very interested in this threads RNG claim now.. Thanks for pointing it out. Last time I did 3 player I thought something was off (had drinks though).

Has there been any discussions regarding RNG and audio anomalies in the past?
Not that I know of. People somehow like FAT, so it's now the default. I've stated in the past that it's only good for online, debugging, and a few games. I assume that Mario Kart might use the Count register for part of the RNG formula.
Old 20th March 2017, 12:43 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

@Justin

Please let us know if the items behave with FAT off, this is a issue that is open for debate right now.
Old 21st March 2017, 04:13 PM

Hello to you both,

thanks again for your continued help, 1080P Mario Kart 64 four player is getting extremely close to perfection.

Ok, here we go! So, four of us got together last night for our usual Mario night. As Iíve previously mentioned, although weíll have the odd game on another track for fun, when it gets down to racing for forfeits itís only ever Koopa Troopa Beach, so thatís where the testingís done.

Firstly, RPGMaster, your suggestion regarding disabling the Fixed Audio Timing appears to have worked perfectly and last night the pickups seemed to be as youíd expect from the console version. A huge thank you for that, as that issue alone was enough to ruin the gameplay. I will never understand why it helped, I just really appreciate that it did!

Now, when we started last night I set the Anisotropic filtering to 16x and the Full-Scene Antialiasing to 8x, both maxed out. I did however deselect both Super 2xSal textures and Always use texture filter. I canít pretend to understand what any of that means other than they make things look sharper, and they do that very well.

The gameplay was massively improved with the pickup issue being resolved but with four players moving at one time the lag can be huge in places, far more than when I was testing last week with a four player game set up but only controlling one player at a time. When I mention lag, I donít mean input lag, the time from operating the controller to the player reacting on the screen, as thatís perfect, I mean the game itself slows down, a lot; so maybe I havenít used the correct terminology. Itís especially evident from the starting line up to the second left hand corner. Maybe thatís because the race has just started, so youíre all bunched up, and all four players are on each playerís screen simultaneously. As you spread out, the lag decreases but again at certain times for maybe a few seconds itíll feel like youíre driving in treacle.

Each time we finished a particular round when the first person reaches five losses and has to do their forfeit, to reset the player standings table back to zero, I end the emulation and start it up again.

After the initial laggy round I set Anisotropic filtering and Full-Scene Antialiasing back to minimum to see if that improved matters, which it didnít.

Then while one of them had to go to the shops and get us some food as his forfeit, two of us had a go on 150cc Mushroom Cup. In two player mode itís indistinguishable from the console version, absolutely perfect.

So, for the next four player round I set both Anisotropic filtering and Full-Scene Antialiasing back to maximum but this time I ticked both Super 2xSal textures and Always use texture filter. I started with this combination last week and Iím sure it was laggy but for whatever reason, this week it appeared to really improve the lag to a point where it was negligible. Iíve just remembered that I also set Counter Factor to 1 at this point, which I hadnít tried the last time we all got together, so maybe that helped?

Iím not sure when weíll get to play next, possibly Thursday next week, but when we do Iíll use these settings as a starting point and see what happens. Anyway, the result was that the racing was good, and the crystal clear graphics are gorgeous.

Anyway, Iíll now try to answer some of the points youíve raised. Iíd appreciate it if youíd explain things as you would to your grandparents as then Iíve got a slim chance of understanding!

theboy181, you mentioned these settings;-

[916B8B5B-780B85A4-C:45]
Cheat1=1
Cheat44=1
Counter Factor=1
Dsound-SyncAudio=1
Fixed Audio=0
Good Name=Super Smash Bros. (U)
Linking=0
screenhertz=61
SMM-Cache=1
Use TLB=0
ViRefresh=1500

I looked under all the emulator and ROM settings but I couldnít find all of them. I found a few such as Counter Factor, Fixed Audio and VIRefresh, but couldnít find some of the others, especially screenhertz that you suggested I try to alter. I get a feeling theyíre in some hidden menu or something?

You also mentioned enabling cheats. I did manage to find them, but is there one in particular, or all of them, that I should select please? I didnít select any last night as I didnít understand what I should do, sorry!

As for plugins, Iím not near the PC right now but they were all default and from what I can remember I think they were all something along the lines of Jambo other than the controller plugin which was N-Rage.

I havenít tried the FPS counter yet either but will hopefully have that installed and working for the next time we meet up.

And last but not least, FAT, what is it please and where do I find it?

Sorry for a rather lengthy reply, but hopefully Iíve managed to remember everything of use. Really looking forward to trying these settings with Counter Factor set to 1 again next week, to see if itís that good again.

A huge thanks again to you both, youíve been such a great help.

Justin
Old 21st March 2017, 08:02 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Was probably Counter Factor=1 setting that has helped you. All gfx settings in Jabo shouldn't have much affect on performance. I can max everything on rubbish hardware and still get full speed.

FAT is an abbreviation of Fixed Audio Timing setting in PJ64. It shouldn't have any affect on how random things are. Only recompiler self mod methods could possibly affect randomness.

Try setting the CPU from Recompiler to Interpreter in the game settings. If you can run full speed with Interpreter, it's better to use it. If you have fast modern hardware, it should be ok.
Old 21st March 2017, 11:28 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Talking

Using interpreter does not fix the problems associated with RNG when Fixed Audio Timing is enabled. I tried doing that in Super Smash Bros, and I still get Yoshi coming out of the toy box every single time. In some cases, I believe the recompiler is more accurate than the interpreter (in particular, floating point). I would not recommend using the interpreter, unless there are known issues with recompiler such as problems in a game like Indiana Jones or Rat Attack.
Quote:
Hello to you both,

thanks again for your continued help, 1080P Mario Kart 64 four player is getting extremely close to perfection.

A huge thanks again to you both, youíve been such a great help.

Justin
Hello Justin. You're welcome . I am very glad to hear that you have experienced an improvement. For the performance issue, I'm sure setting counter factor to 1 made a difference. Good to know that at least 2 player mode seems fine. Maybe I'll look into testing 4 player mode and see if there's any way I know of, to improve it.

FAT is an abreviation for Fixed Audio Timing. Some options are unfortunately not in the user interface and can only be used by editing the text file (such as Screenhertz). I'm not quite sure if doing 61 VI/s is the best solution and I doubt vsync will help either.

By the way, thanks for the testing and feedback. Your concerns and observations are valuable .
Old 22nd March 2017, 04:35 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Justin -- sent you a PM

The example I sent was from my config file and for SSB64 - it was ment to be an example.

I think you test with DXTORY so you can see the FPS. if the FPS are dropping when you play it may be video settings.

Filters and AA pull down the FPS - I would test at different resolutions too.

I agree that CF=1 is the the best option for this game.

Can you try this?
open the project64.cfg and replace your MK64 settings with these.

[3E5055B6-2E92DA52-C:45]
Counter Factor=1
Fixed Audio=0
Good Name=Mario Kart 64 (U)
RDRamSize=8388608
SMM-FUNC=0
SMM-TLB=0
Use TLB=0
ViRefresh=2200

optional setting
screenhertz=61 (used to get better timing)

Note: you will need to run a plugin with vsync enabled. You can tell if its working by pressing F4 and truing frame limit off. With frame limit off you should still only get 60FPS but now the timing will be a little closer to the consoles timings.