Old 10th September 2009, 04:51 AM

Default PJ64 Save Files

I'm trying to switch to another version of PJ64 from v1.6. Where can I find the save files that the emulator uses to store all the save data? I want to retain all my work.
Old 10th September 2009, 05:03 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

If you know where you have Project64 installed, look there for a "Save" subdirectory.
These files may be copied to other version installations, but save states may not load if you are downgrading to older version.
Old 10th September 2009, 06:16 AM

I can't find any Save folders, but I do know that the game is saving. All the folders I see are Docs; 3rd party Plugins, Cheat Codes, Game FAQ, Plugin Specs, RDB, RDX; Lang; and Plugin.

Is the file supposed to be a ".dat" file?

Does the emulator create a different save file for each game I play?
Old 10th September 2009, 07:16 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelptrinh View Post
I can't find any Save folders, but I do know that the game is saving. All the folders I see are Docs; 3rd party Plugins, Cheat Codes, Game FAQ, Plugin Specs, RDB, RDX; Lang; and Plugin.
$Project64\"Save" is just a default setting.
If there is a custom location where saves are stored you can see these through the "Directories" tab of the options dialogue. To get to that, Options/Settings....
Advanced settings must not have been set to hide upon entering config, (See "Options" tab.) or the "Directories" tab doesn't show.

Also just because I'm not sure what else, make sure that you are checking the current version of Project64 you were using to play and save game progress rather than the one you want to transfer the saves to.

Quote:
Is the file supposed to be a ".dat" file?
Possible extensions for saving with Project64 include PJ, ZIP, EEP, SRA, FLA, and MPK.

If you are saving via the controller pak then they aren't always stored in a $Project64\"Save" folder.

Quote:
Does the emulator create a different save file for each game I play?
Each game has its own save, if there is something set to store.

Last edited by HatCat; 10th September 2009 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10th September 2009, 08:03 AM

Under the settings/directories tab, it states that my N64 auto and instant saves are both stored under $AppPath\Save\, but I don't know how to locate that folder.

I'm not sure if I'm saving using the controller pak. But if I am, are the saves on the controller pak transferable from one version of pj64 to another? Or from pj64 to another emulator? How do I access the controller pak's saves?

Thanks!
Old 10th September 2009, 06:17 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Controller "memory" pak saves are stored in MPK index files.
Only some games will mention something about a controller pak or some list of saves you can choose from in labels like "pages", "notes", "save-exit", etc.

One consistent way to tell if the game you're playing supports the controller pak is to hold the Start button down before the game gives you the first display, right after you first load the game in an emulator like Project64. If nothing happens, there may be no support for N64 memory pak. Otherwise you might get a screen for managing notes in MPK file.

"$AppPath\Save\"
This is the default setting then. If you could not see a "Save" folder along with the other ones you mentioned, in the folders listing in $AppPath (where you have 1.6), possibly it might be hidden? I'm not sure, I mean it might also not exist if some process deleted it, but no saves were made or games started since then.

There are still other ways of finding the folder no matter what happened to it, though, as long as it exists, is accessible, and has saves stored in it.

Name one game you know you have been saving and successfully loading progress for.
Old 11th September 2009, 07:14 PM

Mario Party 2
Old 11th September 2009, 10:26 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Do a Windows search for this file.
"MarioParty2.eep"

If you get a location result, that is where your Save folder is.
This is the file handing your game progress.

To do a Windows search, ah it depends on your OS, but usually you go through the Start menu and look for a Search option somewhere. Sometimes if you're browsing through Windows Explorer there's also a button for it.
Old 12th September 2009, 01:28 AM

Dang it! I tried searching for "Mario Party 2 (U) [!].eep" but nothing came up. I did a localized search in the PJ64 folder and one using the Start menu. I have Vista.
Old 12th September 2009, 02:50 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Well actually if you use Project64 the file name generated is "MarioParty2.eep", which is different from "Mario Party 2 (U) [!].eep", though it is good to check both.

At least for me, searching for "MarioParty2.eep" gives me one result that is in my "Project64\Save" folder.

Instead if this still doesn't work, try searching for just "*.eep", which should return all EEPROM saves.

I use Vista, too.