Old 1st April 2011, 08:38 PM

Default WinRAR Run as Administrator

Hi, I've been having some trouble trying to get Glide64 installed recently and thought I'd see if anyone here knows what might help. I've looked around and haven't been able to find a clear solution yet. First of all, here are my stats:

Computer: Dell Inspiron N5010
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (1.6, build 7600)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 460 @ 2.53GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 550v
RAM: 6GB
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Now, when I try to download Glide64, I open it in WinRAR and try to extract it to my Project64 Plugin folder. Everything goes fine up to this point, but when I try to do the actual extracting, I get a whole list of access denied messages and path not found stuff. I looked into this a little more, and found that you have to set the program to "run as administrator" but I can't find how to do that. I only have the trial version of WinRAR, but I imagine that almost everyone here just uses that as well. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 1st April 2011, 08:42 PM
Project Supporter

This should help you with your problem.

I have a registered version of winrar tho.

N-rage

Xinput for Xbox 360 Controller

PJ64 1.6 Download

System Specs:

Windows 7 Professional
GeForce GTX 760
16 GB RAM
120 GB SSD, 1 TB HHD x2 (1 Internal/1 External)
Intel i5-4670k
Old 2nd April 2011, 11:51 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

The whole problem is that you installed PJ64 into a directory that needs admin rights to create new files such as in "Program Files" and WinRAR simply doesn't have the rights to do that. You probably know but since Windows Vista even when you are an administrator to your pc, you always launch programs that don't need elevated permission with normal user rights.
Old 2nd April 2011, 06:15 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337 View Post
This should help you with your problem.

I have a registered version of winrar tho.
This should be enhanced from the previous solution.

WinRAR sucks if there are freeware alternatives to open RARs.

Mozilla FireFox and The Angry Video Game Nerd aren't gods.
Old 2nd April 2011, 09:55 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten View Post
The whole problem is that you installed PJ64 into a directory that needs admin rights to create new files such as in "Program Files" and WinRAR simply doesn't have the rights to do that. You probably know but since Windows Vista even when you are an administrator to your pc, you always launch programs that don't need elevated permission with normal user rights.
This should be the only valid solution.

And I prefer 7-Zip honestly, not that it really matters. Especially here.
Old 3rd April 2011, 10:04 PM

Well, I was able to extract Glide64 to my desktop, and then moved it to C:\Program Files (x86)\Project64 1.6\Plugin\ I read that I needed to move everything within the "Plugin" folder of Glide64 and move it to the "Plugin"
folder for Project64. I did that. I also read that I needed to move glide3x.dll from the wrapper folder in Glide64 and move it into the "Plugin" folder for Project64. After doing all that, I opened up settings in Project64. I got an error telling me that glide3x.dll was not on my computer and that it couldn't load GLide64. That's weird seeing as I know it's in my Plugin folder for Project64 with everything else. Anyway, sorry if I'm missing something obvious but I'm still pretty new to this.
Old 4th April 2011, 03:11 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

GLIDE3X.DLL goes not in $Project64\Plugin; it goes in $Project64--root folder where you have Project64 installed.
Old 4th April 2011, 07:12 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
GLIDE3X.DLL goes not in $Project64\Plugin; it goes in $Project64--root folder where you have Project64 installed.
You always seem to have the solution... Thanks! All I had to do was move glide3x.dll back a folder but I suppose even something that small will make all the difference. Anyway, Project64 found it just fine with no errors and also found the other default plugins. I then tried Glide64 with Paper Mario, as that game seemed to have a ton of graphics issues, and so far, it's fixed every single one of them with just the default settings it came with. I am pleased !
Old 5th April 2011, 02:35 AM

Well, Glide64 has been working just fine do far, but now I'm having problems with full screen mode. I know it's set to full screen resolution within Glide64 by the way. When I try to enter full-screen mode, it does technically do it but the actual screen shrinks quite a bit and becomes quite small. Then when I try to exit full-screen mode, it shifts the whole emulator display inside the window up and cuts off the upper half of it. The only way to reset this seems to be to close and reopen the rom. I also often get an error when exiting full-screen mode that says "The display driver has stopped responding and has recovored successfully", plus my computer usually comes very close to freezing up. When I exit full-screen mode, it always moves random things around on my desktop, such as any sticky notes I have open. I've spent a long time looking for solutions but I'm baffled as to why it causes some of these problems.

Last edited by That_Guy404; 5th April 2011 at 02:48 AM.
Old 5th April 2011, 09:23 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I've had that error with Winamp (?) as well for some reason until I upgraded the drivers for my graphics card.

Unfortunately, I think it seems you have a laptop instead of a desktop, so it might not be quite as easy to do the same for you.

Otherwise you can try filling out the info here to see if you can get a driver update for your graphics card. At the very least should help with the instability.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Tags
extract, glide64, plugin, problem, winrar