Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Suggestions

Old 18th November 2010, 06:34 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall_Leonhart View Post
Vi refresh modifier.
Haha is that your way of saying this is already implemented?
I'm presuming so, since I imagine that can technically allow for overclocking.

So much for all of those separate observations.
Old 19th April 2011, 09:45 PM
Project Supporter

Apologies in advance if this is considered thread necro but I didn't want to create a dupe thread on this issue. No one has seem to specifically discuss the implications of changing a game's default vi refresh rate.

Is there a way to achieve the same behavior presented in "1964 0.85" with the 60FPS modification in regards to how Goldeneye and Perfect Dark perform?

To clarify, 1964 is able to run those games at 60FPS but retain the regular timing of the game speed resulting in a much smoother experience at regular speed.

In the latest P64 1.7, when I change the Vi Refresh Rate, it does increase the frame rate of the actual game, but as a result it also increases the game speed. I am wondering if there is currently a way to increase game FPS but still retain the game speed just like 1964 emulator handles it.

What settings should I use for the vi refresh rate and counter factor?

I have tried things like sync game to audio which makes the audio normal speed, but the game logic and graphics still performs like it is on crack.

Last edited by Misfire; 19th April 2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 19th April 2011, 11:28 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Likely squall would happen to know, but mostly it's a matter of experimentation with the similar range of values.

Are you saying when you change the value it increases both the FPS and the VI/s speeds in 1.7?

Counter factor as 1 in general seems to be the most accurate value for most games. Raising it upward to 6 tends to drop FPS in exchange for better emulation speed as VI/s.
Old 20th April 2011, 12:08 AM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Likely squall would happen to know, but mostly it's a matter of experimentation with the similar range of values.

Are you saying when you change the value it increases both the FPS and the VI/s speeds in 1.7?

Counter factor as 1 in general seems to be the most accurate value for most games. Raising it upward to 6 tends to drop FPS in exchange for better emulation speed as VI/s.
When I do change the value to a higher value, the Vertical Interrupts per second do stay at 60, the game FPS increases but along with it the game speed increases, for example I will run much faster, shoot much faster, enemies will walk faster and shoot me fast, it is basically speed hack.

I understand this is what happens when you overclock, but in 1964 it seems like even when it is overclocked, the game still followed the set default speed rather than increase the speed relative to the amount of overclock you did.

EDIT: I'll make a video to show exactly what I am talking about

Last edited by Misfire; 20th April 2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 20th April 2011, 01:12 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

IIRC there was no VI refresh modifier in 1964, just that customized build that had its own methods for maintaining full speed while playing such games.

Basically the FPS is the internal game speed, so increasing that should be making the game itself / the speed of emulation of the game itself faster. Just unless I'm missing something. In which case yeah a video sounds good.
Old 24th April 2011, 06:17 AM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
IIRC there was no VI refresh modifier in 1964, just that customized build that had its own methods for maintaining full speed while playing such games.

Basically the FPS is the internal game speed, so increasing that should be making the game itself / the speed of emulation of the game itself faster. Just unless I'm missing something. In which case yeah a video sounds good.
Can't make a video yet, as when I went to make it I accidentally fried my capture card by plugging in the wrong power adapter, and fraps just does not run well at all.
Old 24th April 2011, 06:20 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Oh that sucks man; I didn't know about any of that stuff. Heh, for some reason every time I record something with it, the video is like, well, all of the pixel coordinates are inverted XD with the origin of the screen flipped to the other corner of the video output.
Old 24th April 2011, 10:43 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

fraps is fine :/ must be a hardware or config problem

running these games at true 60 frames a second is difficult, as the actual games do not run at these speeds. well unless youre facing a wall.
Old 24th April 2011, 10:16 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I tried messing around in the config man, but I don't see why the hell it would happen. I swear if you take a screen of Mario and rotate the picture by inverting the coordinates of all the pixel diagonals, that's what all the video output looks like. But I'm not that concerned; I haven't been interested in recording N64 vids since '06 I guess when it worked just fine on my older system. The only reason I re-installed FRAPS was so I could just extract the audio from a PSX game using Winamp.

Also the frame rate wasn't an issue; it auto-detects what to log just fine as far as I can tell.
Old 25th April 2011, 02:03 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfire View Post
When I do change the value to a higher value, the Vertical Interrupts per second do stay at 60, the game FPS increases but along with it the game speed increases, for example I will run much faster, shoot much faster, enemies will walk faster and shoot me fast, it is basically speed hack.

I understand this is what happens when you overclock, but in 1964 it seems like even when it is overclocked, the game still followed the set default speed rather than increase the speed relative to the amount of overclock you did.

EDIT: I'll make a video to show exactly what I am talking about
somebody made a video of PD running at 60fps.
http://vimeo.com/5068728
you have to actually download it, to see it at the full framerate