Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 20th February 2018, 03:56 PM

Hello Louislitt,

sorry for the late reply, been busy and not made the time to get on this site for a few weeks.

Why not an i7? Well, I've purely built a PC to run Mario Kart 64 four player in 1080P on Project64. The PC sits in my living room and was planned to only be used when my group of friends come over for a Mario night. I have however since bought CoD WW2 and it's great for that too, especially on a fixed 120" projector screen.

I didn't want to spend a lot of money but at the same time I wanted to be sure that whatever I built would handle Project64 easily. I had a look on this site as well as Google but couldn't find a minimum specification list anywhere, hence why I started this thread.

As it turns out I've massively over-specified the PC but I'd rather it that way than the other.

I decided on an i3 8350K CPU as it was only 150 and with a bit of overclocking I have a quad core CPU running comfortably at 4.9GHz. An i7 would have been over twice the price and I wouldn't of noticed any benefit in anything other than a synthetic benchmark test.

Out of interest for anyone reading and deciding on components for their own build, these are the ones that I think will be of interest to you;-

i3 8350K processor
Asus ROG Strix Z370-F motherboard
2x4GB DDR4-3000MHz memory
Asus GTX1060 OC 3GB graphics card

Now then, the reason I have since found out my build is complete overkill is due to running hardware monitoring programs during MK64 four player.

On average only 20% of the CPU is being used and only 5% of the GPU! So, you could definitely spend a lot less money than I did and still have a fantastic PC for running Project64 Mario Kart. I've no idea how taxing other titles would be on the system but I'd imagine they'd be similar to MK64.

Hopefully that'll be of help to anyone thinking of building a PC for Project64.

Thanks

Justin
Old 24th February 2018, 06:11 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Talking

i3 8350k was a good choice. You don't even need overclocking if all you're going to do is play mario kart . Hopefully you will put that graphics card to goood use, because it's not at all necessary for N64 emulation. I get full speed in every game with intel integrated graphics. I have yet to buy a graphics card for my i5 6500 desktop because the market is ruined!

IGP's are massively underrated. They are no good for modern PC games, but definitely more than good enough for 5th gen emulation.