Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Issues

Old 29th December 2013, 04:40 AM

Default Turok 2 - Seeds of Evil - Incorrect Default Settings?

I was attempting to play Turok 2 - Seeds of Evil (U) on PJ64 2.1, and noticed instantly that performance was significantly worse then it was on PJ64 1.6 (~39-46 FPS versus a steady 60). Plugin selection did not affect performance on either build. The main difference was the amount of work being reported for the r4300i, which on 2.1 was near 90% at all times, versus around 12% on 1.6. [PC NOT the issue here; i7 2600k OC'd to 4.7 GHz, 770 GTX]

After toying around for an hour, I figured out the setting(s) at fault:

*) Sync Using Audio
*) Fixed Audio Timing

Disabling either gets the game running at 60FPS, though if you disable Sync Using Audio, you also have to disable Fixed Audio Timing to avoid choppy audio. Either way, this gets you to 60FPS without issue.

I know the Turok games had major problems with Sync Game to Audio in 1.6 and every other emulator under the sun, so I wasn't expecting this to be enabled by default. I'm *guessing* this is a settings issue...

Note some cutscenes, such as the opening, play to fast, and they were timed right in 1.6. This was unaffected by my settings changes, and is likely a core issue. Likewise, savestates are very, very unstable with this title in 2.1, and they seem to work fine in 1.6.

Also, Turok 3 - Shadow of Oblivion (U) has the same, exact, problem and resolution. Don't know about Rage Wars though...

And as a final aside, the first Turok runs perfectly on 2.1.
Old 31st December 2013, 03:57 PM

For the timing issue, you need to change VI refresh rate to 1500. That fixed it for me.