Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 3rd April 2013, 07:59 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Running in compatibility mode may help.

Proper folder structure for texture files:
\Plugin\GFX\cache
\Plugin\GFX\hires_texture

If you have .DAT files then they has to go to \cache\ folder. \hires_texture\[GAME] for loads of .PNG files.

In this case you're going to play Super Mario 64 with loads of .PNG texture files, your folder structure should look like this:
\Plugin\GFX\hires_texture\SUPER MARIO 64\

▐▀▌█ ▐▀ ▐▐
. . . ▐▄▌▐ ▐▀▌▀▌. . .
▐ ▄▄▌▐▄▌ ▐

Last edited by TheLegend; 3rd April 2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 3rd April 2013, 08:56 PM

Thank you for your reply. I tried putting the textures into the folders you described, but I'm getting the same exception error as before. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. What folder do I put the Glide64 plugin files into? The GFX folder? I have Glide3x.dll in the root folder. I feel like I'm SO close to getting this to work!
Old 3rd April 2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Running in compatibility mode may help.

Proper folder structure for texture files:
\Plugin\GFX\cache
\Plugin\GFX\hires_texture

If you have .DAT files then they has to go to \cache\ folder. \hires_texture\[GAME] for loads of .PNG files.

In this case you're going to play Super Mario 64 with loads of .PNG texture files, your folder structure should look like this:
\Plugin\GFX\hires_texture\SUPER MARIO 64\
When you say "\cache\ folder. \hires_texture\[GAME], what is the "folder" part of the equation? Like if I have a Zelda64 DAT file, should it be in \Plugin\GFX\cache\hires_texture\THE LEGEND OF ZELA ?

Either way, I'm being stopped before it even starts to try to load the textures. Even if I don't have them there, it stops me at that error message.
Old 3rd April 2013, 09:10 PM

Also, I noticed that there is a patch for previous versions of Project64 which will allow you to apply 3rd party things.... is that something I need?
Old 3rd April 2013, 09:43 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftoman View Post
When you say "\cache\ folder. \hires_texture\[GAME], what is the "folder" part of the equation? Like if I have a Zelda64 DAT file, should it be in \Plugin\GFX\cache\hires_texture\THE LEGEND OF ZELA ?

Either way, I'm being stopped before it even starts to try to load the textures. Even if I don't have them there, it stops me at that error message.
No

If files happened to be .DAT they should go to \cache\ folder... There's no such thing as \cache\hires_texture\

Supposedly you have LoZ .DAT files, directory should look like this:
\Plugin\GFX\cache\THE LEGEND OF ZELDA_HIRESTEXTURES.dat
\Plugin\GFX\cache\THE LEGEND OF ZELDA_MEMORYCACHE.dat

And for error message, have you tried run Pj64 2.0 in compatibility mode?

EDIT: Just FYI, I'm sure you set up Pj64 and Glide64 correctly. I think I've seen that error message before and can be fixed by running Pj64 in compatibility mode. It should be only one last issue to fix before you can finally enjoy 64 games with texture hacks

▐▀▌█ ▐▀ ▐▐
. . . ▐▄▌▐ ▐▀▌▀▌. . .
▐ ▄▄▌▐▄▌ ▐

Last edited by TheLegend; 3rd April 2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:59 PM

Again, I really appreciate your help with this issue. I'll try that when I get home.

Last edited by Loftoman; 3rd April 2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 4th April 2013, 01:42 AM

I tried running it in Compatibility mode, and it eliminated the error message. I put the Mario 64 textures in \Plugin\GFX\highres_texture\SUPER MARIO 64. When I tried to load the game, it paused for a second and displayed a message that it was loading textures. After that, the game loaded normally without the new textures. I even tried renaming the folder to exactly what the .n64 file is named, to no avail. I have no idea where to go after here. Is there something in the settings that I'm missing?
Old 4th April 2013, 02:57 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

As long as you can see "loading textures" screen, it means every texture files are in correct places. You'll only have to configure Glide64 to apply textures in game.

Open Glide64 config (Options -> Configure Graphics Plugin...)
-tick checkbox "Show texture enhancement options"
-OK
Re-open Glide64 config -> "Texture enhancement" tab -> "Hi-resolution textures" column:
-Format: "Rice format"
-untick checkbox "Alternate CRC calculation"
-tick checkbox "Use alpha channel fully"

That's pretty much all you need to config for texture hacks.

▐▀▌█ ▐▀ ▐▐
. . . ▐▄▌▐ ▐▀▌▀▌. . .
▐ ▄▄▌▐▄▌ ▐

Last edited by TheLegend; 4th April 2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old 4th April 2013, 10:26 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

The error is caused by a bug in either glide64 or glidehq's dll that loads the wrong manifest state unless you set the emulator's compatibility to anything.

doesn't necessarily matter what compatibility you set, though windows vista or 7 so you don't get prompted with unecessary admin prompts helps.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 4th April 2013, 01:31 PM

HOORAY!!! With your help, I've managed to get the texture packs that are dat files to work! For some reason, the problem still remains with the png files. It will appear as if it's trying to load the textures, and then just simply not. I'm using Glide64 as my graphic plugin right now, is there a compatibility issue between Glide64 and using anything other than dat files?

The textures I have for Mario64 are all located within subfolders labeled after locations in the game. Is this something Glide has a problem with? The same goes for Paper Mario.... I have a bunch of PNG files that are the textures, and when I refresh the rom list, it says that it's decoding the Paper Mario textures and runs through all the names of the files, as if it's going to work.... but nothing happens. The game loads without the new textures.

Last edited by Loftoman; 4th April 2013 at 01:47 PM.

Tags
plugin, rice, video