Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Suggestions

Old 13th February 2015, 02:58 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

lol. if it was broken in 1.4 I think that pretty much rules out any conceivable notion of "regression testing"; this is going to be one of those interpreter bugs that is going to be the worst nightmare of trial-and-error tracking to isolate the cause. (Trust me it was hard enough to deal with the guesswork of those in my rsp. Building from older commits might not be an easy way to know how to fix a bug, but compared to what it'll take to fix this it would have been a jiffy.)
Old 13th February 2015, 10:11 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambient_Malice View Post
Thanks for posting this picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
I got an error message saying "Break point found at N64 System\Interpreter\Interpreter Ops.cpp 1417". So I went to that area in the source and the problem is in
void R4300iOp::LDC1
For starters, LDC1 needs to be looked at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
lol. if it was broken in 1.4 I think that pretty much rules out any conceivable notion of "regression testing"; this is going to be one of those interpreter bugs that is going to be the worst nightmare of trial-and-error tracking to isolate the cause. (Trust me it was hard enough to deal with the guesswork of those in my rsp. Building from older commits might not be an easy way to know how to fix a bug, but compared to what it'll take to fix this it would have been a jiffy.)
Perhaps we might be able to fix it by looking at the source code of an emulator that has it working. I know it won't be easy since there's a ton of code to review ;/ .
Old 13th February 2015, 10:35 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

looking at source to other emulators only has that effect when you know a particular thing is being handled in Project64 in a deviated sort of way, possibly wrong or possibly hazardous just by looking at it,

If we don't even know which interpreter op-code or which RCP component is mis-handled to cause these indy jones bugs you would have better luck comparing Project64 interpreter source to MIPS R4000 manuals or something than to the source for other emulators without knowing where to begin. There are times where we can feel 100% sure that we rewrote an interpreter to be completely flawless and bug-free, and still we'll never catch something. It's not the same thing as debugging re-compilers.
Old 13th February 2015, 10:37 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Speaking of debugging compilers how's that Resident Evil 2 RSP bug fix going?
Old 13th February 2015, 10:52 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
looking at source to other emulators only has that effect when you know a particular thing is being handled in Project64 in a deviated sort of way, possibly wrong or possibly hazardous just by looking at it,

If we don't even know which interpreter op-code or which RCP component is mis-handled to cause these indy jones bugs you would have better luck comparing Project64 interpreter source to MIPS R4000 manuals or something than to the source for other emulators without knowing where to begin.
Yes, there probably is too much to look at. Lol you just reminded me, I should read those manuals . Working on an emulator core will probably be the best way for me to move on from the RSP, since idk what else I can do rofl.
Quote:
Speaking of debugging compilers how's that Resident Evil 2 RSP bug fix going?
About that ;/ . I don't think it will be a difficult problem to solve. I'm just very confused at this point. I'm seriously going to have to make a new folder, use default rdb, etc. Then I will redownload source again and compile without changing a thing.
Old 14th February 2015, 12:12 AM

I figured fixing Infernal Machine's interpreter bugs would be a daunting task. I hope the issue(s) can be fixed in the long run, though.

As I mentioned earlier, PJ64 1.4 and 1.5 differ slightly because 1.4 seems to align the camera correctly, and also renders some terrain. (Though the two effects are probably linked.) Assuming there are multiple interpreter bugs involved, figuring out why PJ64 1.4 positions the camera correctly may be worthwhile.
Old 16th February 2015, 12:58 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

On my quest to dump gfx microcode, I ran into an issue ;/ . Ogre Battle keeps crashing. Are there any settings to fix this, or should I report the issue on github?
Old 16th February 2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
Lol, so you don't get why people would start out with a 32bit n64 emulator back in 1999 ?
He's from a darker timeline where Itanium shipped in 99 and successfully took over the world.
Old 17th February 2015, 02:34 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Would be nice to see more end users testing games here. I've been so confused lately, by the strange events I've been witnessing ;/ . Is there a way to compile with vs2008 without having to install too much bloat? Or is that inevitable? It'll be good to test diff compilers/versions to track down obscure things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMan69 View Post
He's from a darker timeline where Itanium shipped in 99 and successfully took over the world.
Haha . Considering his age, it makes a bit more sense now. Still, shame on him for making such strong assumptions .
Old 17th February 2015, 02:49 AM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

maybe I should look at posting some of the builds to beta/alpha boards so people can test them, until we get an actual release candidate

Tags
2.2, project64