Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Suggestions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 13th February 2015, 02:58 PM
HatCat's Avatar
HatCat HatCat is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In my hat.
Posts: 16,236
Default

lol. if it was broken in 1.4 I think that pretty much rules out any conceivable notion of "regression testing"; this is going to be one of those interpreter bugs that is going to be the worst nightmare of trial-and-error tracking to isolate the cause. (Trust me it was hard enough to deal with the guesswork of those in my rsp. Building from older commits might not be an easy way to know how to fix a bug, but compared to what it'll take to fix this it would have been a jiffy.)
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 13th February 2015, 10:11 PM
RPGMaster's Avatar
RPGMaster RPGMaster is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambient_Malice View Post
Thanks for posting this picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
I got an error message saying "Break point found at N64 System\Interpreter\Interpreter Ops.cpp 1417". So I went to that area in the source and the problem is in
void R4300iOp::LDC1
For starters, LDC1 needs to be looked at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
lol. if it was broken in 1.4 I think that pretty much rules out any conceivable notion of "regression testing"; this is going to be one of those interpreter bugs that is going to be the worst nightmare of trial-and-error tracking to isolate the cause. (Trust me it was hard enough to deal with the guesswork of those in my rsp. Building from older commits might not be an easy way to know how to fix a bug, but compared to what it'll take to fix this it would have been a jiffy.)
Perhaps we might be able to fix it by looking at the source code of an emulator that has it working. I know it won't be easy since there's a ton of code to review ;/ .
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 13th February 2015, 10:35 PM
HatCat's Avatar
HatCat HatCat is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In my hat.
Posts: 16,236
Default

looking at source to other emulators only has that effect when you know a particular thing is being handled in Project64 in a deviated sort of way, possibly wrong or possibly hazardous just by looking at it,

If we don't even know which interpreter op-code or which RCP component is mis-handled to cause these indy jones bugs you would have better luck comparing Project64 interpreter source to MIPS R4000 manuals or something than to the source for other emulators without knowing where to begin. There are times where we can feel 100% sure that we rewrote an interpreter to be completely flawless and bug-free, and still we'll never catch something. It's not the same thing as debugging re-compilers.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 13th February 2015, 10:37 PM
HatCat's Avatar
HatCat HatCat is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In my hat.
Posts: 16,236
Default

Speaking of debugging compilers how's that Resident Evil 2 RSP bug fix going?
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 13th February 2015, 10:52 PM
RPGMaster's Avatar
RPGMaster RPGMaster is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
looking at source to other emulators only has that effect when you know a particular thing is being handled in Project64 in a deviated sort of way, possibly wrong or possibly hazardous just by looking at it,

If we don't even know which interpreter op-code or which RCP component is mis-handled to cause these indy jones bugs you would have better luck comparing Project64 interpreter source to MIPS R4000 manuals or something than to the source for other emulators without knowing where to begin.
Yes, there probably is too much to look at. Lol you just reminded me, I should read those manuals . Working on an emulator core will probably be the best way for me to move on from the RSP, since idk what else I can do rofl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
Speaking of debugging compilers how's that Resident Evil 2 RSP bug fix going?
About that ;/ . I don't think it will be a difficult problem to solve. I'm just very confused at this point. I'm seriously going to have to make a new folder, use default rdb, etc. Then I will redownload source again and compile without changing a thing.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 14th February 2015, 12:12 AM
Ambient_Malice Ambient_Malice is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 179
Default

I figured fixing Infernal Machine's interpreter bugs would be a daunting task. I hope the issue(s) can be fixed in the long run, though.

As I mentioned earlier, PJ64 1.4 and 1.5 differ slightly because 1.4 seems to align the camera correctly, and also renders some terrain. (Though the two effects are probably linked.) Assuming there are multiple interpreter bugs involved, figuring out why PJ64 1.4 positions the camera correctly may be worthwhile.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 16th February 2015, 12:58 PM
RPGMaster's Avatar
RPGMaster RPGMaster is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,008
Default

On my quest to dump gfx microcode, I ran into an issue ;/ . Ogre Battle keeps crashing. Are there any settings to fix this, or should I report the issue on github?
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 16th February 2015, 04:15 PM
DaMan69 DaMan69 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
Lol, so you don't get why people would start out with a 32bit n64 emulator back in 1999 ?
He's from a darker timeline where Itanium shipped in 99 and successfully took over the world.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 17th February 2015, 02:34 AM
RPGMaster's Avatar
RPGMaster RPGMaster is offline
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,008
Default

Would be nice to see more end users testing games here. I've been so confused lately, by the strange events I've been witnessing ;/ . Is there a way to compile with vs2008 without having to install too much bloat? Or is that inevitable? It'll be good to test diff compilers/versions to track down obscure things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMan69 View Post
He's from a darker timeline where Itanium shipped in 99 and successfully took over the world.
Haha . Considering his age, it makes a bit more sense now. Still, shame on him for making such strong assumptions .
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 17th February 2015, 02:49 AM
zilmar zilmar is offline
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 988
Default

maybe I should look at posting some of the builds to beta/alpha boards so people can test them, until we get an actual release candidate
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2.2, project64

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.