Old 14th November 2010, 05:14 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I forgot to mention...make sure that no one is torrenting or otherwise saturating their bandwidth. It will slow down the game while using the netplay plugin.
Old 15th November 2010, 09:37 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Haha I wouldn't even think of doing that. My parents knew something was putting a huge strain on the network back when I [hint--] tried torrenting, of course I imagine downloading anything in general will slow down NetPlay or raise your ping because more data but that which is not related to keystroke information is being sent, paving less room for the NetPlay keystrokes to be sent so logically...yeah.
Old 17th November 2010, 12:43 PM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

aqwertyz i must tell you, Me and Rad are having a ball right now testing this in 1.7 there are def slow downs at the moment we are clocking like 40fps rather then the 60 but full fps without using sound (or rather the no sound) plugin. Testing and fun continues well done on this great work btw.

CPU: Pentium Dual-Core E5400,* 2.70 GHz, 2048 KB
System RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR-SDRAM PC2-6400
Video: ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series
Sound: ASUS Xonar DG Audio D

System 2 Specs:

CPU: AMD Sempron 2300+
System RAM: Crucial 1GB DDR-SDRAM PC3200
Video Card: RADEON X1650 Series 512MB
Sound Card: SB Audigy
Old 17th November 2010, 06:02 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Hmm...that's weird. Are you both able to get 60 VI/s with sound when you are playing alone (not using the netplay plugin)? Have you tried increasing the lag by starting the game and then going to options > configure controller plugin?

I'm glad to hear someone is finding this plugin useful.
Old 17th November 2010, 06:06 PM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

yup we did all the basic testing checks solo no netplay plugin both of us are hitting correct with sound. in netplay we changed lag settings but to no joy with sound. best by far to be honest is with the no sound plugin. but i think it was lag 4? (Rad can varify that) was the best with no desync when using sound just slow due to the 40 fps.

CPU: Pentium Dual-Core E5400,* 2.70 GHz, 2048 KB
System RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR-SDRAM PC2-6400
Video: ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series
Sound: ASUS Xonar DG Audio D

System 2 Specs:

CPU: AMD Sempron 2300+
System RAM: Crucial 1GB DDR-SDRAM PC3200
Video Card: RADEON X1650 Series 512MB
Sound Card: SB Audigy
Old 17th November 2010, 06:48 PM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

No, we never did manage to reach a full 60 VI/s until we switched over to the No Sound plugin.

We started by testing it on 1.6 but quickly ran into some sync issues.
Or rather, Gent did He kept on slamming into the wall in Mario Kart 64.
*Eyes Gent* That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

We tried it out on 1.7 and it seemed stable enough, at least we weren't having any odd sync issues.
It refused to go higher than 40-50 VI/s though and the r4300i counter showed a very high reading of 80% on my end.
It wasn't until Gent recalled similar issues with kaillera that we decided to test without sound and sure enough we got a steady 60 VI/s.

We didn't get too far into testing since I'm rather sleep deprived at the moment, but we did a few tests and found zilmar's audio plugin to be 'faster' than Jabo's.
I suspect that's due to zilmar's having a lower sound buffer but I can't be too certain.
We wanted to try out Azimer's HLE audio plugin but Gent seemed to have issues with it.

We'll probably do some more digging around tomorrow, try it out with 1.5 and other emulators, maybe even look around for other sound plugins.
When it comes to testing RadeonUser and Gent got it covered
We're just not quite as spry as we used to be
At least I'm not heh, I'm starting to suffer from odd memory issues and "Get off my lawn!" syndrome with some of the forum users on here :P

I'm a bit curious on how the netplay plugin is waiting for input.

I might play around with my own version or go and take a look at 1.4's source and see what's up.
Something tells me Ziggy's multithreaded RSP might shine here but I haven't the foggiest idea yet, Gent seems to believe it won't even work with 1.7 (yay!)

At any rate I seem to be rambling now...
Will post tomorrow with more results.
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4770
Sound Card: On-Board Realtek ALC889A
Old 18th November 2010, 02:12 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

OFF my lawn you stinking kids!

Yeah aqwertyz said that the sync was best with Project64 1.7 and unstable with all public releases of Project64 or other emulators.

Why not try zilmar's prebuffer-configurable sound plugin to verify if it's the sound buffer extent? Or it could have been that someone set a new default value for the VI refresh rate.

ziggy's RSP and Hacktarux's don't fully support games like Resident Evil, but I did test with the PJ64 1.6 RSP. ziggy's RSP won't really work for playing games [playably] if you don't use it with ziggy's graphics plugin, though, which as goes without saying is going to be slow on NetPlay.

edit oh and just offering ideas, not that I don't have faith in you guys' testing heh and the like, must...post...
Old 19th November 2010, 04:49 PM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Well now this is very odd.

I was testing this on a simulated 400ms latency connection and I'm now getting different results than when I tested with Gent.
It seems a lag setting of 5 or 6 will allow the game to play at full speed regardless of sound plugin.

For some reason though when I was first testing this No Sound was able to deliver the same speed at the default setting of 3.
On my second test this stopped being the case

I'm not sure what's going on here.
I'll be testing this again with Gent but I'm getting rather confused and irritated that I can't reproduce what we've been getting these past few days through synthetic tests.
Old 19th November 2010, 04:58 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

How are you simulating a high-latency connection? I would very much like to try these experiments for myself and see what happens.
Old 19th November 2010, 05:18 PM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I'm using TMnetSim Network Simulator available from http://www.tmurgent.com/Tools.aspx

It doesn't support dynamically changing the connection settings once the tool is started but it's free so I've been putting up with having to stop and start it every time I want to test a different setup.