Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

View Poll Results: Did Super Smash run full speed with Glide?
What kind of toaster can't run this full speed? 15 78.95%
I just saw a slideshow of an ass whooping. 2 10.53%
Jabo's wasn't fullspeed, either. 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st October 2015, 04:12 PM

Default Poll: Do we need Jabo's speed?

There's a big debate happening on github about whether to keep Jabo's as the default graphics plugin or switch to Glide64. The main argument for Jabo's is speed. I want to find out if it really makes a difference. I'm not arguing that Glide is as fast as Jabo's. I'm arguing that it doesn't have to be.

So I wanted to get a public poll out there to find out if anyone actually needed to use Jabo's plugin for speed. Since RPGMaster says that Super Smash is a slow game, I think a round of smash will do well for testing. Fire up Super Smash with Glide and see if you can play fullspeed.

Here's a current build with both Jabo's and Glide.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1g2ng9ir0cn60o/Test.7z?dl=0
Old 1st October 2015, 08:57 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Well my answer to the thread title would be No,
My answer to the poll's question would be Yes,

but I seem unable to decide how to vote for any of those three options.

So I vote option d) invisible ninjas.
Old 1st October 2015, 10:25 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Super Smash Bros. runs at its fastest for me with Glide64 and looks perfect.
Even four DKs in Hyrule runs quite a bit faster than 60fps.
Why haven't I tried it with four Giant DKs?

The Jabo plugins are missing various graphics in them,even 1.6.1 is missing effect lighting.

The big problem with Glide64 is that Intel sucks and can't use it plus the fact most computers are stuck with the crappy over-abundance of those Intel chipsets.

Rant:
Where da hell's all the AMD stuff with Nvidia GPUs?!?
THOUSANDS of Intel computers in a shopping site list and only a few in there are AMD for their CPU.
Then the real blasphemy when the GPU of a computer with an AMD as the CPU is an Intel HD Graphics! WTF?!? :End of rant.
Old 1st October 2015, 10:40 PM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

I will see if I can do some testing on weekend for me.

My condition is laptop with power saving mode set (not on battery) and not that it can hit 60 vi per second, can it not drop below it. Both have to stay above 60 vi the whole time.

Mostly I just do not want spikes and any lag.
Old 2nd October 2015, 08:10 AM
Project Supporter

I do like Jabo's plugin, it gives some nice enhancements, but thing Glides other enhancements that Jabo's plugin doesn't have, sometimes makes the textures look worse.

I don't know if its me, but using Jabo's plugin sometimes doesn't remember the settings such as when you set the ratio to 16:9 it displays as a box, enabling override aspect fixes this, but it never remembers it.

I've also noticed in version 2.2.0.3 that some games have graphical errors which I didn't notice in earlier builds (not sure which build i have at home, because I'm at work).

Also I find using texture packs easier using Glide, still not quite figured out how to use them using Jabo's plugin, each time i go to install or select the texture pack it claims its invalid, yet Glide sits loading them for like 10 mins when booting the rom.
Old 4th October 2015, 01:47 PM

I've only played GoldenEye 007 over the past year or so but I have to use Jabo's plugin for that to have good FPS. Project64 2.2 + Jabo 1.7 works best for me. Glide is too slow.
Old 4th October 2015, 07:12 PM

Glide emulates more accurately but some games have slight slowdown.
Old 11th October 2015, 10:17 PM

Personally I've been a long user of Jabo's default video plugin. Exceptions of course being Resident Evil 2, Indian Jones and The Infernal Machine, Quake 1&2, and other's I can't think of off the top of my head. Really what it boils down to for me is how Jabo implement's it's wide screen aspect ratio. It over rides of that 4:3 aspect. It's "true" widescreen as oppose to 4:3 stretched out. Granted, GLideN64 is able to do this as well, albeit with a quite noticeable border. As for Super Smash Bros. I never noticed any discernible difference between the two. At the moment however, using Windows 10 Pro x64, I'm stuck with the inability to use ANY of Jabo's video plugins as I get a D3D8 "ChangeWindow Exception" error I can't seem to get around.
Old 12th October 2015, 04:32 AM

Don't use Jabo's video plugin for the time being (thanks Jabo for all the years of fun you have gave us but its time to move on), they wont get updated and they aren't opensource so newer OSes will have what you describe...

You can easily add overscanning to the GLideN64 source to get rid of the hardcoded black bars/borders on any game, I can assist you in pointing you the lines you need to change in the source...
Old 22nd October 2015, 08:49 PM
Project Supporter

Location: Canada; a place with free universal healthcare and f*ckload of oil and Uranium.

I hated Jabo's plugin and instead used Glide as soon as I learned of it... The reason? In Ocarina of Time the grass f*cking moved and the texture even twisted itself. That and I didn't give a crap about Antialiasing or Wireframe.