Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 8th February 2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswedlow View Post
If it says "FPS: 60[...]" in Project64 1.6, then the game is running at full speed.

I'm not sure why you need to use FRAPS or Glide64 to measure it.
Actually the "FPS" label in Project64 is really for measuring the VI/s "vertical interrupts per second"; the FPS "frames per second" measure is dynamic and significantly varies within stages of the game.

If you just want to see if your games are going at full speed, the VI/s (actually listed as "FPS") counter at the bottom of the Project64 window should help?
Ok, so it is emulates the game at the same framerate that the Nintendo 64 would? I guess it would make sense in games like Mario 64 and Starfox 64 which run at a constant 30fps no matter what. I'm measuring the video framerate over VI/s because as the framerate goes down it becomes less responsive and harder to control.

The VI/s does run at a constant 60, however. Coming from PC games that run at 100fps, it makes quite a difference in input smoothness. I also don't remember the N64 being so slow either, but nostalgia might be mucking that memory up.

Last edited by Ch0b0; 8th February 2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 8th February 2010, 11:33 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I'm not too into framerates, but indeed, the emulated speed, VI/s, is the coefficient of framerate.
If say your system was too slow to run at full speed and played at 50 VI/s, then all framerates would be 5:6 the original.

In the beta 1.7 the "FPS" label you see in Project64 was changed to "VI/s" so as to avoid the confusion.

I also know that some games in Project64 show timing issues, and not all framerates in the emulator are as they would be on the N64. I may have to leave further questions to squall_leonhart.
Old 9th February 2010, 03:01 AM

I tested 1964 v1.1 and noticed it has a higher framerate at the same VI/s in Goldeneye. I tried the same plugins on each.

With Glide64, at the Dam level where you first get control, the framerate is 22fps in Project64 compared to 33-40fps in 1964. Framerate correlates the same with other plugs. (ie 1964 has higher fps)

It depends on the game, though. Conker runs better in PJ64 for example.

EDIT: Taking the speed limiter off seems to *really* speed up the framerate. 100fps+ like a 5870 should but then the game, as expected, runs way too fast. It's hard to understand why one emulator has a higher FPS at the same VI/s than the other.

Last edited by Ch0b0; 9th February 2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old 9th February 2010, 10:58 PM

I'm not sure why you are having those speed issues. Perhaps it's Windows 7?? As reported in my other thread, all 9 of my games run at a constant 59-60 according to the VI/s at the bottom right. And speed limiter is on. When I finally selected "Sync game to audio" in audio plugin, all sound ran smooth and game speed went normal. Before I sync'd , Goldeneye was very zippy .. I mean if you pushed the analog control all the way forward, it was like Bond was running lol. VI/s didn't change after sync though. No slowdown or "slideshow" even when tons of guys were on the screen firing at me all at once. I remember the original game speeds, I own an N64. Even though I haven't played it in like 10 years, I still have a good memory of it. In some cases the N64 had more slowdown than PJ64 does. The actual FPS may be different. Some games utilize a frame limiter to prevent lag, and in some cases to make it look like things are moving past you at a higher rate of speed.

My specs
An old XP Pro system
Asus AN78X mobo
AMD Athalon XP 2800+ (single core 2ghz)
1GB DDR RAM
ATI Radeon (VisionTek series) X1300 AGP 512MB
Old 10th February 2010, 01:22 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

The emulators have different configurations for internal timing, but you're not short of knowing as much as I do about the field.

I never got into the deal with the framerates; if I didn't see some sign of overclocking I was always happy.

In GoldenEye 007 with Bond's intro though it's pretty conspicuous.