Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Issues

Old 30th August 2016, 02:42 PM

Unhappy Automapping to Z-axis - with vJoy (Controller Problems)

Been looking for over an hour all over the web to help me fix this issue, but no luck--so I decided to make an account here and see if posting about it would help.

Basically, I've got the official GameCube USB adapter for Wii U hooked to my computer; I've already downloaded Massive's driver, and the thing works without issue, being recognized by Dolphin with a simple click of the button. That is to say, I can play any GameCube game smoothly with this thing, so I doubt the problem lies with the adapter or the driver itself.

When I try mapping the controller to Project 64, however-- Well, I'm posting here, so clearly that didn't go over very well.

I'm running version 2.1.0.1 of P64. When I go to Options --> Configure Controller Plugin... , the window pops up that would ordinarily let me map the controls. Under devices, there are four different vJoys for each individual controller port (I've tested all of them, to no avail), which I selected. But trying to actually map any buttons does either absolutely NOTHING, or (in the case of trying to map an analog stick) immediately defaults to Z-axis - before I have the chance to try and input anything.

I've tried using all three controller plugins that came with this version of P64, and they all yield the exact same result. I feel it has to be recognizing SOMETHING, as it only defaults to Z-axis - when I select one of the vJoy devices, and does nothing when I leave it at "None," but I have absolutely no idea where to go from here. Do I need to download a different plugin? It's not the controller I'm trying to use, as I just tested with Dolphin and it works perfectly.

At any rate, any and all help would be appreciated.
Old 30th August 2016, 03:06 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Check XInput.
Old 30th August 2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank74 View Post
Check XInput.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. (Sorry, but emulating isn't exactly my field of expertise...)
Old 30th August 2016, 05:54 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasilOuija View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this. (Sorry, but emulating isn't exactly my field of expertise...)
Configure Controller plugin.
Old 30th August 2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Configure Controller plugin.
That's not an option in my window. It looks like this:

Old 30th August 2016, 06:16 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I thought XInput was available from 2.1. Anyways, you need a newer version of NRage. It comes with Project64 2.2/2.3.
Old 30th August 2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I thought XInput was available from 2.1. Anyways, you need a newer version of NRage. It comes with Project64 2.2/2.3.
Got the new version. Window now looks like this:

Booted up a game to see if it worked, but it didn't. Trying to reconfigure the controls does nothing. Does it matter that I'm using a GameCube controller? Should it still work?
Old 30th August 2016, 07:40 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Do a search on your PC for 'joy.cpl', run it and you'll get something like this.

If your controller is not here, it's not compatible with DirectInput and has to use XInput.

If your controller is listed, it should work without XInput. If so, try Jabo input plugin, or in NRage, try the deadzone upto 90%.

There are 3rd party drivers that convert XInput controllers to DirectInput and vice versa.
Old 30th August 2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Do a search on your PC for 'joy.cpl', run it and you'll get something like this.

If your controller is not here, it's not compatible with DirectInput and has to use XInput.

If your controller is listed, it should work without XInput. If so, try Jabo input plugin, or in NRage, try the deadzone upto 90%.

There are 3rd party drivers that convert XInput controllers to DirectInput and vice versa.
All four vJoy devices show up when I run 'joy.cpl'. I've never had to run XInput before (I was able to connect my GC controller adapter to Project 64 on my old laptop fairly easily), so I didn't think that was the issue.

Setting the GamePad deadzone to 90% also yields nothing. I tried using both versions of Jabo that came with version 2.1, but that also didn't work.
Old 30th August 2016, 09:23 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
XInput was added to 2.2 by squall taking someone else's XInput implementation.

Literally nothing is improved (or at least not worsened) after 2.1 except just for being able to switch between 2 plugin APIs (XInput or DirectInput), which is kind of saying let's just have 2 plugins in 1 single DLL and double the dependencies for people who don't need all of that. Therefore 2.1 rc3 is the latest "official" release by rabiddeity, and yes, it is DirectInput-only.

The plugin was also renamed after 2.2 from "N-Rage's DirectInput" to "N-Rage Input".