Old 11th January 2018, 10:39 PM

Hello hamduden,

ok, let's see what we can do! I'm at work at the minute so I don't have my computer with me. However I should be able to remember the very first steps to get you going and we'll build on it from there.

I'm assuming you're going to install Project64 on a Windows PC? If so try this link below which can also be found just by left clicking on the Project64 logo at the top left of any of the pages on this forum.

https://www.pj64-emu.com/

Select Get Project64 for Windows obviously which will download the Project64 installation file. I can't remember if it needed unzipping or not but either way once you have the necessary file install it on your PC.

The ROM you're looking for is simply Mario Kart 64 (US) and is quite easy to find. I found it on the below link by typing exactly that into Google a few minutes ago.

https://www.loveroms.com/download/ni...-64-usa/265692

Download or move the file into somewhere where you can easily find it, as you'll need to open the ROM from Project64 once it's running.

Like I say, I'm not at home right now but from memory when you run Project64 there are a few drop-down tabs at the top left of the screen. I think one of them says File, click on it and on the drop-down menu one of the titles will be Open ROM. Click on that and you'll be given the option to browse the location of your ROM. Find it and off you go!

Like anything new, it takes a bit of getting used to the settings tabs. Luckily there aren't too many so have a play at navigating all the settings, including unticking the Hide Advanced Settings box. You will see tabs for Graphics, Audio and Controllers. Go in those to have a look and set your resolution and what ever else you want to adjust.

What controllers are you going to use?

I use all the standard plugins that are already loaded on Project64 although I think some people might use others for whatever reasons that I wouldn't understand anyway.

Once the ROM is running you can press escape to come out of full screen and you will see more settings that relate to the game you are running that aren't there when the ROM isn't running.

From memory (I can help you find these once I'm at my computer) you will need to set Counter Factor to 1 and tick FAT (Fixed Audio Timing). Counter Factor 1 will get the speed right and FAT has to be selected otherwise your pickups allocation in the game will be off and you'll get way too many lightnings.

Again, once you get back to me with further questions I'll get myself in front of my PC and answer them to the best of my ability.

You asked about other options. I've only used Project64 and it's so good that I've not felt the need to look elsewhere, and therefore can't comment on other emulators.

Anyway, see how you get on with that and I'll answer any questions as soon as I can around work/family life.

Thanks

Justin

Last edited by justin8571; 11th January 2018 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11th January 2018, 10:50 PM

Hello demilich,

as far as I'm aware it's for v2.3.2 on Windows and I'm not sure if it would work for Android or anything else, but I'm sure someone on here can help.

Thanks

Justin
Old 12th January 2018, 08:10 AM

Justin,

Sounds fantastic. Thanks for the long guide here, I will test in the weekend or beginning of next week.

I will probably be using Xbox controllers as well. Will have to find enough for 4 players though.

Do you know if PS3/PS4 controllers will work as well? Not super important.

And of course focus on work and family time, I don't expect any more than a bit of attention when you have it

Have a nice weekend.