Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 15th December 2017, 10:17 PM

Default Minimum spec PC for Mario Kart 64 1080P?

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to build a PC purely to run four player Mario Kart 64, I'm assuming on V 1.6, and would like it to be able to run at 1080P.

Can anyone please help with the minimum specification CPU and GPU I would need to run this at 1080P, and if 4K is possible what would the minimum specifications be for that too please?

I would imagine the CPU is way more important than GPU but have no idea if that's correct.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Justin
Old 16th December 2017, 03:09 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

What kind of specs do you have access to?

As long as the GPU isn't Intel then you shouldn't have a problem on that front.

It really depends on how accurate you want the graphics to be if you want accuracy.
GLideN64 definitely renders the screens found on tracks while other plugins can't but it can crack under pressure when using high resolution on some games.

Not sure if regular Glide64 Final 2012 fully renders correctly but it can be used with v1.6 of PJ64 and should run better on something that isn't high-end.
Any other plugin goes downhill from there but performance is better on Rice and Jabo D3D than it is on Glide64 if on a not so powerful PC.

Also,I honestly don't know if GLideN64 even works on PJ64 1.6 so it might not even be usable for all we know,then again your specs might not even be enough for that more modern plugin.

A major question is can a PC you use run it at 60fps on those resolutions if you want 60fps at normal pace. (I found the missing piece of a true 60fps code a while back and through time it was improved a little bit with collaboration and a music in multiplayer code was also found over time)

Ask me and I can ask someone else if I should paste the code/s in here.
Note: Already messaged about the 60fps code and waiting for a response from that someone.
Old 16th December 2017, 11:50 AM

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

Iíve had P64 Mario Kart 64 working on my ladís PC with perfect frame rates, so the emulator can definitely do the game justice. Thatís got an overclocked i5 6600k processor and a GTX 950 graphics card but Iím hoping to build something for myself thatís much cheaper, to save me borrowing his PC once a week when my mates come round. Iíll only need it to run MK64 so Iím hoping to get away with a far cheaper CPU and GPU if possible.

Thanks again

Justin
Old 16th December 2017, 07:28 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Well maybe higher specs are cheaper now and thanks to how good PJ64 is with recompiler,your speeds may not be so bad if you get any kind of desktop with decent specs.
Even a gaming laptop can barely run all that well but mine is ULV (ultra-low voltage/its a laptop so you'd expect bad performance) and lacks higher native resolution anyway and due to the just-above 1080P resolution I have it at for my large monitor,it struggles to run at good performance at even 1x Native (320x240) with some games on GLideN64 but does pretty well.

Sixty frames was even showcased on how it acted on an actual console much to the dismay of slow speeds but cool to look at.
You can view some footage of MK64 running at true 60fps on theboy181's YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKf6DoROKek

This video of his mainly showcases the code I put together through time and effort that gives you an MK8 styled landing boost when holding R that he is showcasing in 60fps and some of his hand made HD menu textures can also be seen. (video is from a past stream of his so bit-rate is not entirely that good)

Here is the 60fps code and the music in 3-4 player multiplayer code.

Mario Kart 64 (U)

Sixty Frames Hack
81001890 2419
81001892 0001
81001894 2419
81001896 0001
80000FE3 0000
800014CF 0001
81001C90 240A
81001C92 0001
81001C94 240A
81001C96 0001
81001A38 2409
81001A3A 0001
81001A3C 2409
81001A3E 0001
80122CBB 001C
810AC5D4 2401
810AC5D6 0006
Some parts of this code are Sean Sullivan's for the original pacing mods found on TASvideos info pages and other parts with fixes and additional 60fps access like the jumbo-tron screens are found by someone else.

Enable Music in 3-4 Player Multiplayer
8128EC9C 240E
8128EC9E 0001
8128F9C4 2409
8128F9C6 0001
Honestly can't remember if I dug around to find these or if someone else got them,you'd expect this was already found but I think this was my ASM solution to someone else's real-time value trickery that forced a hybrid mode that made the music work.

If you have problems with these codes then disable Advanced Block Linking and try again then if it still gives you trouble disable both caches which will impact performance a bit for better ASM code response rates.
The ones with 8128 are time sensitive to when a race is loading so those are likely to fail if too many performance improvements like the COUGHspeedhacksCOUGH are all on due to their caching causing ASM codes to be stifled.

I am irritated that the patch has never been ported from Mupen64Plus that checks if caching section in 4kb chunks are dirty then refreshes them when they are which allows ASM codes to work way more efficiently.
Both codes modify the games ASM (assembly code) to get the results we want.
If I had more freedom with access to openly spending some money online (long story/nothing bad),I would set up a bounty on Github for someone to port that useful patch to PJ64 so it can work better with ASM-based code hacks when all speedup options are enabled so nobody loses performance when wanting to use these kind of codes.
Old 18th December 2017, 01:05 PM

Thanks for your help with this. I can't begin to say I understand anything to do with that code, it's way beyond me I'm afraid!

So I need to avoid onboard Intel GPUs but it's likely I'm going to need something?

I get the impression then that emulators require more CPU power than GPU. Any idea roughly what I should be looking to get please? Is there a minimum CPU frequency I should aim to get and do emulators use more than one core please?

Thanks

Justin
Old 19th December 2017, 04:27 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Talking

Hello justin8571 .
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin8571 View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to build a PC purely to run four player Mario Kart 64, I'm assuming on V 1.6, and would like it to be able to run at 1080P.

Can anyone please help with the minimum specification CPU and GPU I would need to run this at 1080P, and if 4K is possible what would the minimum specifications be for that too please?

I would imagine the CPU is way more important than GPU but have no idea if that's correct.
Why use 1.6? 2.3 is faster and more accurate!

Any recent CPU is good enough and if you're only concerned about N64 emulation, you do not even need a graphics card. I myself do not even have a graphics card on my desktop since I have not found a need for it. I have yet to find a single game with performance problems on my skylake desktop (provided I use the right plugins).

I'm not sure what plugins even support 4k resolution but I know for sure GLideN64 has performance issues on high res, so you can forget about that plugin if 4k is important to you.

I'd say CPU is more important, simply because the GPU power needed for N64 emulation is very low, so all you really need is a decent CPU.

If you want to be sure before buying, feel free to ask about specific CPUs like i3 6100 or something.
Old 19th December 2017, 08:51 PM

Thanks for your reply. I think I used 1.6 before so I guess I was going to stick with what I know, especially as with help from this forum I got it running really well. Is 2.3 the same to set up do you know please as 1.6?

I've only got a 1080P display but was thinking of future-proofing the computer just in case, but if 4K is grief then I'm happy to spec the computer for 1080P.

I was thinking of an i5, not yet sure which one, one of the overclockable ones preferably but I'm hoping to get a bit of a deal in the Christmas/New Year sales. I'm assuming most motherboards come with HDMI outputs these days which will be important if I'm not going to use a graphics card.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Justin
Old 21st December 2017, 02:31 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin8571 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I think I used 1.6 before so I guess I was going to stick with what I know, especially as with help from this forum I got it running really well. Is 2.3 the same to set up do you know please as 1.6?

I've only got a 1080P display but was thinking of future-proofing the computer just in case, but if 4K is grief then I'm happy to spec the computer for 1080P.

I was thinking of an i5, not yet sure which one, one of the overclockable ones preferably but I'm hoping to get a bit of a deal in the Christmas/New Year sales. I'm assuming most motherboards come with HDMI outputs these days which will be important if I'm not going to use a graphics card.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Justin
You're welcome justin8571 . i5 7600k is liek 200 USD right now and i5 8600k is like 300 (but maybe you can find a better deal), unfortunately. Even a 1st gen i5 is good enough for N64 emulation although i strongly recommend getting a fairly recent generation CPU. Older generations tend to be a rip-off.

2.3 has a different User Interface, but the setup is similar enough.
Old 26th December 2017, 09:22 PM

Thanks RPGMaster for the advice, thatís a huge help. Iíve ended up ordering a quad core i3 8350K (coffee lake). Although itís a budget CPU theyíre meant to be good for overclocking up to 5Ghz!

Itís good to hear that the user interface is similar to the one Iím used to but no doubt Iíll still be back with more questions when I inevitably get stuck.

Thanks again for the advice

Justin
Old 9th February 2018, 06:29 AM

Why not go for i7?