Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 20th April 2013, 12:23 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

What the? When I use rsp_hle.dll with any GPU plugin, the audio doesn't output anything, but when I go back to the default (the RSP plugin that came with PJ64), the audio works fine. I get this message right before I noticed the audio not outputting. This is Jabo's DSound 1.7.1.

Summary:

rsp_hle (which the emulator still calls LLE when it's HLE based) + Jabo or Glide 64 = no audio in any of the games tested

Default RSP 1.7.0.9 plugin + any GPU plugin = sound shows up.

Games tested with rsp_hle

Perfect Dark
Hydro Thunder
Goemon's Great Aventure

All of these games had no audio when using rsp_hle with any GPU or audio plugin. Using the default rsp plugin however does not have this issue.

Edit: Derp. Used the rsp_mle plugin and now I have sound (LLE) with Glide 64. Wow is my face red.
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM 10600
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 1 TB HDDs
Monitor: 23" Asus Full HD LED

Oh, and Snes9x > Zsnes in every way

Last edited by the_randomizer; 20th April 2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 20th April 2013, 02:03 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Thanks MarathonMan I hope that your life business is sorting out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesk14 View Post
Gotcha

Did you get the save states?
Yes sorry about the unexpected delay; I have those downloaded.

I don't conveniently have access to the other two games actually, so I just tested Bomberman 64 out with the saved state you sent me.
I presume that the "slow speed" issues you described with the other two + Azimer scratchy audio were the same basic issue report.

The saved state is running at 18-22 VI/s on my machine with LLE audio + LLE gfx. It is most likely supposed to be that slow...you can test with zilmar's RSP 1.7.0.9 interpreter plugin if you suspect there may be a RSP issue in my plugin causing the slow speed, but in general his RSP plugin is never as fast as mine for any game at all without compromising the accuracy balance of an optimized emulator using the flawed interpreter.

Speaking of which, RSP Recompiler for PJ64 seems to have an issue with LLV if (addr & 3) is 2 (All-Star Baseball '99 player sprites), which switching to the RSP interpreter corrects it. Hope this helps fix other bugs in the unstable RSP recompiler plugin for pj64, erstwhile my interpreter plugin will be the best XD, but obviously a bit slower.

As for your findings of "scratchy audio" when switching to use audio HLE for speed + Azimer's audio plugin.
Try un-checking "Emulate/Simulate AI" in azimer audio dll config options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendo1889 View Post
What the? When I use rsp_hle.dll with any GPU plugin, the audio doesn't output anything, but when I go back to the default (the RSP plugin that came with PJ64), the audio works fine. I get this message right before I noticed the audio not outputting. This is Jabo's DSound 1.7.1.

Summary:

rsp_hle (which the emulator still calls LLE when it's HLE based) + Jabo or Glide 64 = no audio in any of the games tested

Default RSP 1.7.0.9 plugin + any GPU plugin = sound shows up.

Games tested with rsp_hle

Perfect Dark
Hydro Thunder
Goemon's Great Aventure

All of these games had no audio when using rsp_hle with any GPU or audio plugin. Using the default rsp plugin however does not have this issue.

Edit: Derp. Used the rsp_mle plugin and now I have sound (LLE) with Glide 64. Wow is my face red.
Heh...

I see you've stumbled upon my HLE new/unknown SP task debugger.

Usually the RSP executes either gfx tasks (OSTask type == 0x00000001) or audio tasks (0x00000002), the one you screen captured there is the NUS-CIC-6105 boot code DMA'd from the CPU to the RSP for games like Banjo-Tooie, Perfect Dark, other rare ones using 6105 chip.

As for no audio with rsp_hle.dll.

Need to use a HLE audio plugin (either Azimer's Audio HLE or 1964 Audio Plugin, or zilmar's No Sound plugin which is also HLE but obviously gives no sound for speed).
Old 20th April 2013, 02:12 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCat View Post
Thanks MarathonMan I hope that your life business is sorting out.

Yes sorry about the unexpected delay; I have those downloaded.

I don't conveniently have access to the other two games actually, so I just tested Bomberman 64 out with the saved state you sent me.
I presume that the "slow speed" issues you described with the other two + Azimer scratchy audio were the same basic issue report.

The saved state is running at 18-22 VI/s on my machine with LLE audio + LLE gfx. It is most likely supposed to be that slow...you can test with zilmar's RSP 1.7.0.9 interpreter plugin if you suspect there may be a RSP issue in my plugin causing the slow speed, but in general his RSP plugin is never as fast as mine for any game at all without compromising the accuracy balance of an optimized emulator using the flawed interpreter.

Speaking of which, RSP Recompiler for PJ64 seems to have an issue with LLV if (addr & 3) is 2 (All-Star Baseball '99 player sprites), which switching to the RSP interpreter corrects it. Hope this helps fix other bugs in the unstable RSP recompiler plugin for pj64, erstwhile my interpreter plugin will be the best XD, but obviously a bit slower.

As for your findings of "scratchy audio" when switching to use audio HLE for speed + Azimer's audio plugin.
Try un-checking "Emulate/Simulate AI" in azimer audio dll config options.

Heh...

I see you've stumbled upon my HLE new/unknown SP task debugger.

Usually the RSP executes either gfx tasks (OSTask type == 0x00000001) or audio tasks (0x00000002), the one you screen captured there is the NUS-CIC-6105 boot code DMA'd from the CPU to the RSP for games like Banjo-Tooie, Perfect Dark, other rare ones using 6105 chip.

As for no audio with rsp_hle.dll.

Need to use a HLE audio plugin (either Azimer's Audio HLE or 1964 Audio Plugin, or zilmar's No Sound plugin which is also HLE but obviously gives no sound for speed).
Unfortunately, those sound plugins you mentioned have a lot of issues with crackling, affecting certain games with reduced framerates, etc but I used rsp_mle.dll with Jabo's audio plugin and now it works.

Old 20th April 2013, 02:20 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Uncheck emulate/simulate AI in Azimer's Audio dll config to help cut down the crackling (as well as speed up the emulation a bit...).

I personally have never noticed this relative crackling we seem to be speaking of ? only on Azimer's sound but not Jabo's sound...

Maybe one sound plugin handles lower VI/s rates better than the other, idk.

As far as slow speeds, destroy some triangles in the game.
In Mario64, kill some enemies.
In Bomberman, blow up buildings.

Basically, kill off some geometric 3-D objects in the game. It starts to speed up LLE gfx a small bit. The less triangles to draw on the screen, the less work for the RCP.
Old 20th April 2013, 03:21 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Uncheck emulate/simulate AI in Azimer's Audio dll config to help cut down the crackling (as well as speed up the emulation a bit...).

I personally have never noticed this relative crackling we seem to be speaking of ? only on Azimer's sound but not Jabo's sound...

Maybe one sound plugin handles lower VI/s rates better than the other, idk.

As far as slow speeds, destroy some triangles in the game.
In Mario64, kill some enemies.
In Bomberman, blow up buildings.

Basically, kill off some geometric 3-D objects in the game. It starts to speed up LLE gfx a small bit. The less triangles to draw on the screen, the less work for the RCP.
Crackling is pretty much nonexistent on Jabo's plugin, much of that has been neutralized, even in previously problematic games like Killer Instinct Gold (yes, even that sounds perfect). But Azimer's and 1964's plugins crackle like hell, even when you change the buffer size. I have no issues with Jabo's, but I do with the other two audio plugins.

Using rsp_mle + glide 64 + jabo's dsound 1.7.0/1.6.1 works perfectly fine with no apparent speed hit, need to test more games though.

Old 20th April 2013, 04:08 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

@mesk

place the z64.conf file into /$emudir$/screenshots/plugin

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 20th April 2013, 04:13 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendo1889 View Post
But Azimer's and 1964's plugins crackle like hell, even when you change the buffer size.
Hmm there is no buffer size option in either dll.
First off 1964 audio official releases don't work outside of 1964 that I could find; I only said 1964 audio because it's HLE.
Second Azimer dlls used to have a buffer size but that was way, way versions back; it should be 0.56 WIP 2 the latest version of Azimer that sounds good.

Either way, it's not a RSP issue, so, I'm not inclined to dig around on the matter.
Happy you found a favorite setup.
Old 20th April 2013, 04:36 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Hmm there is no buffer size option in either dll.
First off 1964 audio official releases don't work outside of 1964 that I could find; I only said 1964 audio because it's HLE.
Second Azimer dlls used to have a buffer size but that was way, way versions back; it should be 0.56 WIP 2 the latest version of Azimer that sounds good.

Either way, it's not a RSP issue, so, I'm not inclined to dig around on the matter.
Happy you found a favorite setup.
That's fine, I shouldn't expect you to have to delve deep into the code to fix something like that, seeing as I found a setup that works. Not RSP-related, but Bomberman 64 has some serious audio issues on Jabo's DSound plugin, regardless of AI or VI settings, might be a core issue in the emulator itself, I should probably let Zilmar know.

Using those three plugins, the following games (I've tested thus far) work with near-perfect audio: All are NTSC-U and a couple NTSC-J

Killer Instinct Gold
Hybrid Heaven
Hydro Thunder
Goemon's Great Adventure
Kirby 64
Mario Party 2
FZero X
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Mario Kart 64

Will test more

Last edited by the_randomizer; 20th April 2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old 20th April 2013, 02:17 PM
Project Supporter

It would be great if the different RSP-plugins could have different names in RSP selection screen, including type and version number.
Old 20th April 2013, 02:20 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Yeah, reported by nintendo1889 some time back.

I didn't think people would want every DLL installed. Personally I almost always use rsp_lle.dll or rsp.dll, but I guess I didn't care at the time to put thought into dispersing the plugin dll names under the macro config tree.