Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 29th February 2016, 08:27 AM

Default GoldenEye 007 Xbox 360/One Controller Settings

I can't move with Xbox One Controller.
Old 29th February 2016, 10:11 PM
Project Supporter

Use a modern Nrage (minimum 2.3 as included in newer PJ64 releases) and tick the XInput option
Old 3rd March 2016, 05:39 AM

Plugin? I use Jabo's 1.7x input plugin and it works fine for me. I get RUMBLE and everything with MY Xbox One controller. It's a bit tricky to configure so any Nrage plugin might be easier. It's possible to configure the Xbox One controller to Jabo, but again tricky.

I try to remind anyone configuring GoldenEye/Perfect Dark that by essentially assigning the left/right half of the controller to P1 and P2 AND configuring the in game controls to dual settings it'll play JUST like a modern FPS setup with genuine dual "analog" controls. The same applies to two player deathmatch as well. Not for 4 players though (obvious reasons).
Old 3rd March 2016, 07:09 AM

Aha, just what I'm looking for! Is there a config save file that you might be willing to post? I almost need a refresher course, it's been a while for me. NUK3 it sounds like you have dialed in the controller for GE and PD. This is EXACTLY what I was seeking! Can you explain to a n00b like me what you mean by configuring in game controls to dual settings? I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.
Old 4th March 2016, 06:28 PM
Project Supporter

If you use a Xbox One controller with DInput your triggers will count as digital buttons (not that much of an issue with N64) and rumble won't work due to Microsoft wanting to phase out DInput. We have an Xinput plugin were rumble and aforementioned triggers should work just fine, theres no reason to use jabo's.

@GE Masters
What have you done to configure your controller so far? have you gone into the configure input options and tried to set your buttons or did you just plug it in try to play something and it didn't work? (which wouldn't be surprising)
Old 4th March 2016, 09:52 PM

When it comes to Jabo's DInput it's just a personal preference of mine. I'm also unsure if other plugins allow the following I'll describe. I've been using it since 1.6 released and just haven't strayed much away from there. When it comes to Xbox One controller the triggers have been separated and no longer cancel each other out when used together. Great for GoldenEye as LT can be used to aim and RT to fire. Not the case for 360 controllers as no update has separated them. In this case the bumpers should be fine. In regards to RUMBLE, I have modded an old driver/wrapper that allows RUMBLE to work. A link will be at the bottom.

In regards to the controls, it DEFINITELY works for Jabo's input plugin. It's hard to describe without going on and on and on and on about it. A link at the bottom is what I've configured GoldenEye/PD for. Remember, that you STILL have to go into the in game settings and configure dual controls. I can't remember exactly what they are, but it's no chore figuring it out. Just set your P1 and P2 input settings to the Xbox One controller load the respective configs.

RUMBLE for Xbox One Controllers (near ANY input plugin):
http://steamcommunity.com/discussion...7867790900215/

Config files for P1/P2 dual analog control:
http://1drv.ms/1X0oKDM

Last edited by NUK3 TH3 WHAL35; 4th March 2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old 5th March 2016, 03:49 AM

Thank you very much. Ah, I recall now the issue with not being able to use the aim. I did dabble with setting this up, but that was quite some time ago. This is great insight about the Xbox One controller and fixing that cancellation.

At some point I will do a N64 controller vs. Xbox controller competition with using PD and GE. I have a friend who I'm sure is up for it. I have big plans moving forward for GoldenEye and being able to present the Xbox One controller and or the PS4 controller as being usable is important.

Thanks again, I'll give this a go.
Old 6th March 2016, 06:27 AM

@NUK3, I'm assuming you've played a lot of GE and PD via this method. Do you think it's a worthwhile investment to get a Xbox One controller for this? I do remember the aim cancellation being a big deal. I'm just wondering how fantastic you find it in comparison to say, movements on a modern day shooter like Halo or COD. Many thanks.
Old 6th March 2016, 10:14 PM

Well... personally I like the precision of the Xbox One analogs. They're A LOT smoother, IMO. What's funny is that since helping you out I've decided to load up GoldenEye juuuust to make sure I was giving you the right info. I noted how the triggers are separated on Xbox One controller drivers. One trigger controls Z Axis and the other Z Rotation. What's strange is that this ISN'T TRUE ANYMORE!!! At least for me, ATM. I'm not sure why, but the triggers for my Xbox One controller are BACK to sharing the Z Axis. At this point there's no difference with the 360 controller now (other than smoother analogs from the One controller). Now, don't swear by this as it may be unique to me as the latest Xbox One controller drivers are supposed to SEPARATE THEM!

If you are using an Xbox 360 controller then the configuration files should work fine. With shared trigger axis' triggers can't be used together however. So either set Player 1's "Z" button to either LB or LT and then set Player 2's "Z" button to either RT or RB. This way either aiming aiming and shooting is LT and RB or LB and RT. Going to my Steam page through the download link will enable RUMBLE through Jabo's input plugin. You'll also get RUMBLE for any other emulator that won't otherwise have working vibration for an Xbox 360/One controller.
Old 7th March 2016, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the advice. I was about to order an Xbox One controller, so I'll hold off at this point. If you manage to resolve the cancellation via a driver or something, please let me know. I would really appreciate it.

Just as a point of reference, the reason I'm inquiring about this is because I'm looking at restarting a competitive GoldenEye scene. At the very least that is my hope. With no viable N64 controllers available on a regular basis, using an Xbox controller could at least could help this become a reality. If GoldenEye can be played with a modern day dual analogue, that would be a key ingredient. Thus I would be grateful if you can determine the situation with the aim cancellation and I'm sure 99% of gamers are used to having LT aim and RT shoot.

Now that I think about this, I recall that the sniper rifle zoom in and out was an issue also. In the next few days I'll hook up my Xbox 360 controller and see what limitations there were.

Thanks!