Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Suggestions

Old 9th January 2017, 06:04 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

$20? Good luck getting one to work, you need a parallel port and even then they are extremely finicky.
Old 10th January 2017, 02:58 AM

Gameshark + DexDrive is only used for backing up cartridge saves (Like SM64) - isn't your PerfectDark already on a Controller Pak? You'd do fine with a DexDrive without the GameShark. However it's also old tech and uses a serial cable for transfer. You'd need a Win98 machine or old XP with that serial port.

I suggest getting a flashcart like Ever Drive to backup your saves, or the ralphnet adapter.

Either that, find someone in your area who has a flashcart.. they can get the save off your controller pak and onto an SD and can get it to you.

Last edited by zikey; 10th January 2017 at 03:03 AM.
Old 10th January 2017, 06:05 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

You can backup mempaks with a GS as well, I've done it.
Old 10th January 2017, 07:15 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Aren't there USB to serial/parallel ports available? There are/were for PCI slots, also for IDE drives.
Old 14th January 2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamptonius View Post
I'd agree, but I want to rescue some Perfect Dark characters I've been cultivating since the game came out before the battery I can't change because it's jammed in the controller dies.
Seriouly ? :S Oh man.. Hi. I'm new here I just joined and I know I know Not everyone here is all excited anymore about everything and all that, that's fine. I just saw this post and I had to leave my input.

Okay so... If say you really want to save this controller from dying etc. Is there a way, also this way would include not harming said controller. As In I'm saying if you could or someone could help do this for you, would you do it?

Okay so you take the or this controller you have, right. You sigh see if you can take it apart down to the board and bare wires. Carfully! Making sure not to short it in teh proccess not sure why taht would happen but hey it can. Okay; then find the wires that connect to the battary. Then; Take those wires and hook them into some source. Like a Charging station for rechabable batteries... or some other sort of power source ALSO NOTE: that HAS a Surge Protection. I WOULD NOT do this unless I had some sort of back up connected to this controller. Then from there you can find a method of getting these saves.. off of the controller and onto a.. say USB SD what have you. Personally I find thoose two things very unreliable even to date. I'd find something that I have, That I know to be REALLY Reliable; that has never lost or has been corrupted and or etc by any means. Like a GameCube Save card. You know the ones. The real ones ... made by Nintendo. I have one, it's black; Or no wait I did Probably sold it too along with my RE games. That was a really bone head move on my part. Never should have let them go, but eh oh well.

Anyway I hope this helps and just know there is way. If something can be put onto it can be ported off OF.. Okay? Cool. I really hope you have found some way to keep this controller alive and kicking for now hey here's an idea. Really the power wires are the same as a UBS would use in fact they are.. Sooooo. not only theoretically possible but you CAN (Sorry just remember this xD ) You CAN get them off of that controller. I would think though one would need a driver? I pretty sure maybe you can splice the controllers wires... hook those into the said USB. (OH and make sure this USB is of a high quality It may make all the differeance to all devices, A) The Controller B) The USB C!) THE COMPUTER [ You don't want it blowing out the PC ].
Whatever type you feel is best.) Right so do that splice the controllers power wires. You'll have to look this up to but I know it can be done.
Apple uses this method on their new Apple devices. They have a USB on one end and a 35mm jack on the other and it powers, charges AND; connects the Device to the computer. So there is a way.

Again I'd think you need a schematic (Layout) of what wires get connected to what wire/s and all that jazz. It is possible. Shouldn't be all that hard either. AND also since it is USB haha you can port it to any or almost all devices that would have the USB port.
Just something to be warned about is the controller may have different outputs Than that of the USB and that of the Computer etc, so that is something to look into and watch for when the build is being made.

Sigh.. Anyway. I hope this at least has been informative and I know what it's like having those saves and not having them well.. saved; so good luck.
Old 20th January 2017, 01:54 AM

There's one on Ebay.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_025 View Post
Pretty sure they don't, since those drivers were written for 32-bit Windows. It'd be great if someone could do a full reverse-engineering of the Adaptoid to write new drivers for it, but given how rare it is these days I think that's out of the question.
Old 24th January 2017, 08:46 AM

Talking Thanks

Hi,

thanks a lot for all the answers!!!

According to one of the answers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zikey View Post
Like I said in Vamp's thread, unless you have a special adapter with controller pak support (there's like only two), it is not possible.

N-Rage's input plugin, which you seem to be familiar with, had support for an old adapter called "The Adaptoid" from 1999 which is no longer manufactured.

You either need to find an authentic Adaptoid, hope the drivers from 1999 still work on modern windows, or get the ralphnet one, and use his experimental plugin.

Personally I'd rather use PJ64's native support for unlimited MPK files. With the right adapter you can just manually backup and restore saves on a real controller pak.
Yes, I was researching about Raphnet's devices and the N64 adapter V3 seems to be one of the best N64 adapters, with a experimental plugin, as you said, for interact directly with N64 physical controller pak.

Anyway, I prefer to work with PJ64's native support instead of an experimental plugin, but I'll check all the possibilities.

Again, thanks.

Sincerely,
Kiko