Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v1.6

Old 1st January 2017, 06:49 AM

Default Why might a ROM all of a sudden stop working?

Hello,

I've been tinkering with different versions of PJ64 and trying to get Conker (which I'm aware has some issues) to run. Initially the "snow" or "static" at the top of the frame turned me off but I've learned to look past that simply because of how good the widescreen in Jabo's plugin looks (and because my computer can run no other emulator)

Problem now is that the ROM simply refuses to run, no matter the permutation of plugin or settings. It seems to load, but the emulator responds only with a black screen although the "FPS" in the bottom right corner does change values, as if the game is running. Other games run flawlessly, it's just Conker that's giving me trouble.

Upon reinstalling PJ64 v1.6, the game works the *first* time you load it, but after exiting the program it won't work again. The ROM is the same one that was initially working.

Anything I might try? Thank you.

Last edited by GottaBigHeart; 1st January 2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 1st January 2017, 01:24 PM

So this is odd. The PAL version works, while the NTSC version still fails to load even though it was working consistently before. This is fine for me (although the framerate capped at 50 is a little irksome), but out of curiosity, why might this be?
Old 4th January 2017, 01:52 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Maybe if you change the VI refresh limit, counter factor, and/or fixed audio timing checkbox settings you can get the NTSC version to work again as well.
Old 4th January 2017, 04:46 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Edit: Try matching the NTSC settings to what the PAL version uses to see if that fixes it.

Sometimes,specific games have more frequent issues with GPU drivers and/or Windows updates or other oddities.

If on "Physical Lookup Table" turn on all self mods except protect memory,or if on "Virtual Lookup Table" turn off all self mods so it doesn't crash from them.
Newer versions of PJ64 run the game in Virtual LUT mode because its so much faster.
Oddly,older versions of PJ64 run much faster on Physical LUT mode while newer versions are incredibly slow on it and much faster on Virtual.

The less likely factor:
If you are using a hard drive and don't defragment it or use an odd storage option like an sd card or jump drive,the file could be fragmented enough to cause issues.
A very long while years ago,I had Banjo-Tooie act differently on Wii64 (Mayahem Temple started freezing on entering it) then I decided to defrag the sd card it was on and the level loaded properly again.