Old 10th June 2017, 11:07 PM

Default Undo save/load

First, thanks to the developers for their hard work.
I want to suggest something.
I've been using retroarch on iOS and works great. There I use the "undo" option for save/load. For example when you mess up and click save where you didn't need/have to. Or to undo a load state and go back to where you previously were.
I don't find anything like this in project64, and think that it would be a great addition.
If someone is interested or want that I show how it works in retroarch, or don't know what I mean I'll be happy to make a video or something.
It's horrible when you damage your save for any reason or click load in the wrong time. Or mistake the save/load buttons, and there's no coming back.
Hopefully this will be a feature in the future.
Old 11th June 2017, 05:06 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

It would be tricky to support undo, but there could be an option to auto increment the save state in a session. Wrap around the saves from 1 to 10. Project64 supports upto 10 savestate slots at the moment. So in theory, it wouldn't be too hard, to support 10 levels of undo.
Old 12th June 2017, 12:47 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for answering, but that's completely diferent from what I'm saying. I know your idea seems ok, but not sure if you know exactly what I'm meaning. Is very useful when you have hotkeys (in gamepad controller or in touch devices) set to save/load. Not sure if you have tried this feature in retroarch. I'm using iPhone, but I'm sure it's the same in android or PC.
If you do know exactly what I meant and even then you say is very hard to implement, I understand. This is a great emulator and I just want it to be better.
Old 12th June 2017, 02:54 AM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

to support undo would require taking instant saves constantly, so you can revert back to them.

If it was taking an instant save every second, it is 60 per second, not sure about the overhead, every 2 seconds is 30 saves per second.

it might be possible if it was to memory instead of disk
Old 12th June 2017, 06:33 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

rename previous save, commit new save.
add menu structure to read the renamed file as a previous version.

You're overthinking it Zilmar.

CPU:Intel i7 920 @ 3.8(D0), Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Monitor:BenQ G2400WD
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 12th June 2017, 08:50 PM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

I am thinking maybe of a different problem .. I am thinking of undo as in like rewind functionality.

The manual undo, well possibly have auto save backups, when saving, if exist, rename old to .1, .1 to .2, .2 to .3, to .n-1 to .n where n.n is max backups.
Old 12th June 2017, 10:56 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Going by what the OP said,
Quote:
I use the "undo" option for save/load. For example when you mess up and click save where you didn't need/have to. Or to undo a load state and go back to where you previously were.
Sounds to me like the problem is, saving by mistake, and needing to go back to a previous state.

Why not make a save to memory option. CTRL+S or something, that saves to memory but doesn't delete saves until the session has ended. Each time you memory save, increment the memory save. Each level of undo, can be each point the user memory saved. On end of session, it should save the last memory save to a file, to be reloaded by load previous memory save option. That way, there shouldn't be any impact on performance during play.

An auto save option would be ok too. As long as the time between saves could be adjusted by the user. It may affect performance saving too fast. I can't imagine needing less than a minute between auto saves.

Just thinking out loud......

Last edited by Frank74; 12th June 2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 14th June 2017, 06:51 PM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

more the feature I was thinking was for rewind like for speed runs ...

but just having save backups is probably all this user needs
Old 28th July 2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iripa View Post
First, thanks to the developers for their hard work.
I want to suggest something.
I've been using retroarch on iOS and works great. There I use the "undo" option for save/load. For example when you mess up and click save where you didn't need/have to. Or to undo a load state and go back to where you previously were.
I don't find anything like this in project64, and think that it would be a great addition.
If someone is interested or want that I show how it works in retroarch, or don't know what I mean I'll be happy to make a video or something.
It's horrible when you damage your save for any reason or click load in the wrong time. Or mistake the save/load buttons, and there's no coming back.
Hopefully this will be a feature in the future.
Could you just put the Save File Elsewhere for Back-Up Then?

Tags
undo save load state