Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Suggestions

Old 10th December 2008, 10:15 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Default Goldeneye and Perfect Dark at a smooth 60fps

This was mentioned on the old forums, but I havn't seen it on the new forums, and I though it was worth talking about.

There's a small modification to 1964 v.85 that PistolGrip made over a year ago. It essentially overclocks the N64 so that certain games can run at a glorious 60fps, without slowdown, without strange timing issues. Particularly, games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark run beautifully, like you've never seen them before (except with PistolGrip's code), even in splitscreen multiplayer. For these games, this is the holy grail of emulation. His version of 1964 runs the game perfectly smoothly, but with all of the limitations of a now ancient version of 1964. http://emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=40311

PistolGrip claims that this fix was extremely easy to implement, and that it could be done in a very short amount of time, and could probably be done easily on Project64 as well.

After reading through the pj53 philosophies document, I believe that this is a key feature that should be included in PJ64. Allow me to enunciate this by running through the philosophies, as listed:

1) useful to the majority of users.
There's tons of users who play PD and GE, and many of us see these as the ultimate expression of gaming in the N64 era. There's definitely enough users who would benefit from it.
2) worth the time to implement. this is part of the above point (time vs benefit), but its often hard for people to guess how difficult something is. try to use common sense here.
PistolGrip claims that the fix is easy, easy, easy, to implement. Additionally, with the current plateau in N64 emulation, and with so many games already working beautifully, this feature is indeed the low-hanging fruit in the emulation scene, and has been for a year and a half.
3) explained clearly.
PistolGrip offers explanation and even sourcecode.
4) specific and non obvious.
Check.
5) use the search and read the changelogs and ToDos to see if we have already done it or are planning to do it!
I have not yet seen it in those documents.
6) think about your idea for a day before posting it.
I've been thinking about this since March 2007.
7) try to have a complete idea. think about all aspects.. what sort of interface changes your idea might need (the more, the less likely it is to happen..), what other things it might impact on, etc.
Others have suggested before that this feature should be able to toggle on and off, for players who don't want the dramatically improved experience, and to offset for any un-expected bugs. If you want more specific interface recommendations, I'm a graduate student at Carnegie Mellon, studying human-computer interaction, and I'd be happy to run a full usability study if you'd like.
8) finally, please remember to ask politely and not demand, this as a hobby, not a job. most people understand this but not everyone..
I'm asking politely, but as strongly as I possibly can. I really feel that this is the primo feature to be added, and that the emulation community has been waiting for far too long for someone to implement this into a modern n64 emulator.
Old 10th December 2008, 10:38 PM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

you are right - which is why we are trying to implement this right now
Main test PC: Athlon dual core 1.25-2.5Ghz (variable), 2GB RAM, GF8800GS driver 175.19, 1680x1050, External Audio, XP SP2.
Old 10th December 2008, 11:15 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Old 10th December 2008, 11:36 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Yes, though you most likely can't see the goings on, they are trying to get it done.

CPU:Intel i7 920 @ 3.8(D0), Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Monitor:BenQ G2400WD
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 13th December 2008, 12:02 AM

I would really, really love to see this feature realised. The only thing I felt lacking while playing PJ64 was this annoying stuttering in almost every game, but I always thought: "Don`t blame the PJ64 guys for it, the original game programmers or even the N64`s hardware are responsible for that!" Well, now I can blame you too, because I did not think there was a fix for this issue

Imagining playing OoC, Goldeneye, Jet Force Gemini and PD on my 46 inch HDTV in FULL HD and smooth 60 Frames, well, that almost brings tears to my eyes.

I would immediately donate, to get the beta with this feature, don`t want to wait till 2010 anyway.
Old 13th December 2008, 01:45 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

It doesn't work on every game, since alot of games have other timing related issues. For example, Zelda will always be locked at 20 fps, and MarioKart is all over the board. PistolGrip had talked about a possibility of reverse-compiling individual games themselves, and hacking the timing code, in which case he believes it could be possible to see zelda and mariokart run at a smooth 60fps. I have no idea how feasible this would be, but talk about a holy grail of emulation!
Old 15th February 2009, 05:50 AM

Haha, that would be awesome!!! Imagine to do that reverse compling to Zelda, simply orgasmic~!... lol
Also, i would like to see what's going on inside the alpha testing forum, unfortunately i'm not a beta member, and there's no donation page anymore... shit...
I really don't know what's going on lately, i don't even know if there's any other way to donate, i guess i'm a bit late to donate, but oh well...
I have faith in this project, good luck to all!

Old 15th February 2009, 02:57 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanelote View Post
Haha, that would be awesome!!! Imagine to do that reverse compling to Zelda, simply orgasmic~!... lol
Also, i would like to see what's going on inside the alpha testing forum, unfortunately i'm not a beta member, and there's no donation page anymore... shit...
I really don't know what's going on lately, i don't even know if there's any other way to donate, i guess i'm a bit late to donate, but oh well...
I have faith in this project, good luck to all!

I was a beta member (paid my $20 or whatever), but I think that was wiped out when the site moved. I'm not aware of any secret bata versions being released.
Old 17th February 2009, 02:23 AM

I also was a beta member...Hi!
Old 19th February 2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
I was a beta member (paid my $20 or whatever), but I think that was wiped out when the site moved. I'm not aware of any secret bata versions being released.
Duude!! Why don't you tell that to Zilmar, maybe he can help you out!
If you really were a beta member, you must tell him, lol!