Old 11th July 2013, 08:03 PM

Default Can't detect controller

I just installed Project 64 (2.0 rather than 2.1 since I got an "Illegal download attempt" message when trying to download 2.1) for the first time. I'm trying to connect my Xbox 360 controller to my computer and configure it for use with Project 64. It is a wireless controller but I'm using a XB360 USB cable to connect it to my computer via USB. I have downloaded the MS XB360 Accessories Status program.

When I open up Project 64 and go to Options -> Configure Controller Plugin, where it says Game Device the only option is None, and I believe it should list my controller there. The 'Controller is plugged in' box IS checked.

Earlier I tried downloading 2.1 from a different site and had the exact same problem.

How do I fix this problem?
Old 11th July 2013, 08:43 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

"Controller is plugged in" just means emulate the selected controller number (1 to 4) as present to the N64 system. It wouldn't pertain to your game devices or your non-keyboard controllers.

When you find no other game devices are listed are you using:
  • Jabo's DirectInput7 1.6?
  • Jabo's DirectInput 1.7.something?
  • Jabo's DirectInput7 1.6.1? (this actually would be the most up-to-date)
  • N-Rage's DirectInput?
In certain cases the latest builds of N-Rage's DirectInput (2.1 RC3 and later) may include better controller driver support, so you might have varying levels of success when using those.

Furthermore, you are trying to use an Xbox360 controller.
There actually is a specific API for using Xbox360 controllers called "XInput", and it more directly supports your controller.

Plugins which use XInput:
So for Xbox controllers you probably will have the better of success using one of those three DLLs, depending on the circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmburnett View Post
I just installed Project 64 (2.0 rather than 2.1 since I got an "Illegal download attempt" message when trying to download 2.1) for the first time. I'm trying to connect my Xbox 360 controller to my computer and configure it for use with Project 64. It is a wireless controller but I'm using a XB360 USB cable to connect it to my computer via USB. I have downloaded the MS XB360 Accessories Status program.
Maybe we need someone to provide a zipped extractable archive for installing Project64 2.1.

I wouldn't do it myself since that could piss off Mr. zilmar, but otherwise, if memory serves the download page works/un-works/re-works. So you could have to wait for the download to work.

It's not really significant, though. Controller emulation was not changed in Project64 2.1.
Old 11th July 2013, 10:02 PM

I haven't installed any separate controller input programs, since all the tutorials I found said to just plug in the controller, download the MS program, and change the button mapping in Project 64.

Are you saying I need to install one of these three?

-billard's basic XInput Plugin
-mudlord's n64input
-squall's fork of N-Rage's DirectInput, post 2.1

If so, do I extract it to where it'd go by default, or the plugin folder of Project 64?
Old 11th July 2013, 10:25 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Those are all zip archives, I think, so they would have no default place to go.
Yes, the DLL for any of those three just goes to $Project64/Plugin like you said.

Those are the 3 XInput n64 plugins.
You don't have to use one, but, your chances of getting direct support for your exact controller would probably be higher.

You could still in theory use some other plugin than those three, like N-Rage's DirectInput 2.1 (not the XInput build I posted above).
Old 15th July 2013, 05:43 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
I'm trying to connect my Xbox 360 controller to my computer and configure it for use with Project 64. It is a wireless controller but I'm using a XB360 USB cable to connect it to my computer via USB. I have downloaded the MS XB360 Accessories Status program.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2174515AAKLmpl

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1