Go Back   Project64 Forums > General Discussion > Open Discussion

Old 2nd April 2011, 09:30 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Not sure though I think a preferred N64 range setting is like 2:3 or about 67%, though default being 100% on Jabo's DirectInput in case just a keyboard it used. I don't know though.
Old 5th April 2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Not sure though I think a preferred N64 range setting is like 2:3 or about 67%, though default being 100% on Jabo's DirectInput in case just a keyboard it used. I don't know though.
I did not know that, thank you. Now I'm curious the actual range of the controller when playing a game on an actual N64 system, for precise emulation of course.
Old 5th April 2011, 09:32 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I don't know, just that it changes. The default on N-Rage's DirectInput, the most advanced controller input emulation plugin for the N64, has always throughout development had the setting at 66% (which I figured, 2:3 more accurately rounds to 67% which is why I said that).

AFAIK it just depends on how forcefully you apply the N64 control stick.

Also in N-Rage's input, there's a config option check box that says "Use Real N64 Range".
Old 1st May 2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatz18 View Post
So the solution I got was going to the Control Panel, running XP, in the top left corner click on Classic View if not in it already, then click on the Game Controllers icon. In there for me my controllers came up as "USB Gamepad." Highlight that and click "Properties," then click "Calibrate," and follow the instructions. When finished, run Project 64 again and all shall be well. Gloriously well.

Also I kept my deadzone at 25% that Project 64 defaulted to and reduced my range to 95% just to allow some room for error. Everything plays great.
Thanks. I found this and it fixed my problems.
Old 17th December 2014, 01:45 AM

Default same problem, solved with calibration

Quote:
I just had this same problem and googled to this thread. My joystick was slow/not fully responsive in Project 64 but they are brand new joysticks and should work fine. All N64 controller adaptors to PC should work fine, I have the May Flash ones so I troubleshot it myself.

So the solution I got was going to the Control Panel, running XP, in the top left corner click on Classic View if not in it already, then click on the Game Controllers icon. In there for me my controllers came up as "USB Gamepad." Highlight that and click "Properties," then click "Calibrate," and follow the instructions. When finished, run Project 64 again and all shall be well. Gloriously well.

Also I kept my deadzone at 25% that Project 64 defaulted to and reduced my range to 95% just to allow some room for error. Everything plays great.
Came here to reiterate this.

exact same situation for me, and this fixed the problem. I'm using PJ 64, the N64 controller adapter, and playing Zelda. Calibrating the controller is what's needed. In windows 7 - control panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Devices and Printers - > USB Gamepad -> calibrate. Need to calibrate both positions.
Thanks!
Old 3rd September 2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
This solution also worked for me using Windows 10 and the Mayflash adapter. It's slightly different to access the Game Controller icon on Windows 10. To do so you open Control Panel then click "View devices and printers". Then just follow the rest of the solution to calibrate and that worked well. Thanks for the idea.