Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v2.x - Issues

Old 16th September 2017, 04:39 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

If tile-assembled textures display better in Rice than in other plugins, it's because the command is to use bi-linear filtering instead of point-sampled, but N64 bi-linear is not pixel-exact with common implementations of OpenGL for desktop. Rice is able to bypass it by trying to force point-sampled more often.

lol. GIMP on Windows 10.
Old 16th September 2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank74 View Post
The 'fixed' title has gap at bottom which is the cause of the black lines with Glide64.

It seems textures made for Rice are adjusted to work around Rice errors.
GLideN64 and Glide64 Final are displaying them correctly.

Edit:
Trying to re-join the title tiles, the bottom 8 pixels needs to be cut. There's 3 blank pixels, and each tile overlaps by a further 5 pixels.
So canvas size should be 1376 x 24 instead I think. Not sure, never messed with a texture pack before.
I see, and yep, that's exactly what I think as well that the texture pack is designed with Rice oddities in mind. Something I found out is that when editing and exporting in GIMP, you have to choose "do not write color space information", else when glide64 loads the textures, it will ignore it since it has info it doesn't know. It seems bit depth and file type have to be the same as what's in the original 64 texture pack. I tried editing the M's from Mario's cap in the Wii version of the texture pack, and glide64 totally loaded it, but still with the same graphics error.
Old 16th September 2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
If tile-assembled textures display better in Rice than in other plugins, it's because the command is to use bi-linear filtering instead of point-sampled, but N64 bi-linear is not pixel-exact with common implementations of OpenGL for desktop. Rice is able to bypass it by trying to force point-sampled more often.

lol. GIMP on Windows 10.
So can I bypass issues by selecting force point sampled in pj64 settings? Yeah... doesn't seem to do anything.

Last edited by SoAmusing777; 16th September 2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 17th September 2017, 12:02 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

This is what the SMASH logo looks like after making the canvas size 24 high.

Black lines gone, but misaligned.

It needs more work. It needs to be pieced together correctly, and then cut up instead.
Old 17th September 2017, 01:10 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I just cut the blank pixels from each tile that had them. Most of them are now different sizes.

Here's the result. Better, but still not perfect...

Glide64

Edited Title Screen/SMASH folder : https://www.dropbox.com/s/txxnh1nvdp...SMASH.zip?dl=1

Last edited by Frank74; 17th September 2017 at 02:39 AM.
Old 17th September 2017, 02:40 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

I redumped and resized the original SMASH logo. It needs sharpening. Original was 172 x 4, now 1376 x 32.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4uum8inj9...sized.zip?dl=1

I'm going to have to look for my CD of Paint Shop Pro and install that. It'll be quicker. I can then do a batch conversion, resize and sharpen.

Last edited by Frank74; 17th September 2017 at 02:58 AM.
Old 17th September 2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
It needs sharpening.
Are ya having fun? Haha. Quite the learning experience for someone that's never done this before. Good job on the edit. The original def needs sharpening.
The biggest thing though is not the title screen, as you only see that once when u start the game, but the other graphics issues. Multiple pokemon are glitched. I could list them if you want.
For characters - Pikachu has double cheeks, mario has too many M's on his cap, plus the yellow outfit of his says W instead of M.
These pokeball pokemon items -
Blastoise's first image when he appears before he starts shooting water and onix's second image when he goes up in the sky, then all of the images for the following: Hitmonlee, goldeen, snorlax, meowth, and possibly chancey, then the pokemon that come out of the saffron city stage, porygon, venusaur, and charmander, all glitched.

The star item has too many eyes.

Dreamland stage near the flowers in front are not level or something, you can see a jagged white line, plus the wrong path that you can fight on on the bottom left to right isn't correct. The water doesn't look too great either. On yoshi island the left bottom platform has a gap.

I think that's about it.

Last edited by SoAmusing777; 17th September 2017 at 03:19 AM.
Old 17th September 2017, 03:36 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Arrrgghh...

Lots to fix. It'll take forever. I think some of the errors are because of missing or wrong size textures, the multiple M's on Mario's cap for example.

Yellow Mario W to M was easy : https://www.dropbox.com/s/mecys8zga0...THERS.zip?dl=1

I'll look at the rest tomorrow.

Last edited by Frank74; 17th September 2017 at 03:40 AM.
Old 17th September 2017, 04:13 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoAmusing777 View Post
So can I bypass issues by selecting force point sampled in pj64 settings? Yeah... doesn't seem to do anything.
That's a so-so amusing conclusion considering there is no such thing as "force point sampled" anywhere in Project64's settings.
Old 17th September 2017, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Arrrgghh...

Lots to fix. It'll take forever. I think some of the errors are because of missing or wrong size textures, the multiple M's on Mario's cap for example.

Yellow Mario W to M was easy : https://www.dropbox.com/s/mecys8zga0...THERS.zip?dl=1

I'll look at the rest tomorrow.
Yeah, no kidding, but honestly, I don't think it's too bad. I just don't know how to do it. The bad part is glide isn't even loading all the textures, and I don't know how to tell which ones it's missing. It maxes at 2809, when there's like what was it, 2877?, but those may be ones that are unused. I noticed there was an "overflow" folder still in Winrar format, but there's only 14 files in there. I think the same with the errors. So yellow mario shows M instead of W, but has one M and two half M's still eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatCat View Post
That's a so-so amusing conclusion considering there is no such thing as "force point sampled" anywhere in Project64's settings.
I meant to say it's in Glide's settings. You can select automatic, force bilinear, and force point sampled. Forcing it doesn't fix it.

Last edited by SoAmusing777; 17th September 2017 at 04:32 AM.

Tags
aristotle rice, error cn64system, pietschie bad randolph, pj64 2.3, smash hd texture mod