Old 9th December 2014, 06:16 PM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
Agreed.
Lol people say m64p is active, but what have they done recently? I'm genuinely curious, because I haven't checked in a while. PJ64's development has stagnated, but I think it's going to get better, now that zilmar has started posting on the forums again and is accepting pull requests. I haven't gotten around to doing that yet ;/ . I like how mupen64 handles audio, but m64p needs more plugins! There's only 1 LLE gfx plugin afaik and no RSP recompiler . I'd probably be satisfied with using z64gl if I did not have hardware specific issues with that plugin ;/ .
Y'know the github is out there in the open and stuff :P Not all that much was done lately mostly merging back fixes on the android side of things so original m64p can potentially be compiled and used on ARM devices. Some small performance optimizations in the hle-rsp and core, nothing overly significant. Regarding the plugins on lle gfx side there's GLideN64 now, which from my short play with rogue squadron seems to work fine. Regarding the RSP isnt HLE theoretically faster anyway (if done right, dunno how much that holds true for m64ps rsp )?
Old 9th December 2014, 08:38 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1del View Post
Regarding the RSP isnt HLE theoretically faster anyway (if done right, dunno how much that holds true for m64ps rsp )?
Yeah not really sure why they haven't ported recompiler code for RSP. Maybe they don't know how (it was mudlord's idea to them to port my interpreter), maybe they're not interested because HLE > recompilers like you said. Maybe it's a lack of sources...don't really have any RSP recompiler code outside of MAME, ziggy and Jabo/zilmar with some non-portable stuff.

No real loss though. If not having any recompiler code means getting an entire army of people bashing and yelling at for not having any I'd view that as an advantage.
Old 9th December 2014, 09:11 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

I guess their code google page was just outdated, last time i checked . I can't remember if I ever downloaded their stuff from github. I hope it has those MSVC project files. I've actually become more interested in working with their source.

I gotta check out their hle rsp too, since the one I'm using is months old. Lol my comment about RSP was just nitpicking xD, because I wouldn't even be able to use an ideal LLE gfx plugin. Someone would have to either fix up z64gl, or port angrylion's plugin. Or I'd have to get new hardware so that z64gl is more suitable ;/ . I don't have OpenGL 4.2 so I couldn't use GlideN64 even if I wanted to . I could port the RSP myself anyway .

Yes HLE is faster than LLE, especially for audio. HLE audio could be even faster if they optimized it for modern hardware, but I'm kinda glad they didn't because it's nice that people with low end hardware can still run audio very fast. I care about LLE gfx because I like some games that haven't been completely HLE'd, like Last Legion. So there's still a reason to use LLE, at least for gfx.
Old 9th December 2014, 09:55 PM
Project Supporter

Yes the google code page is only really used for release announcements/issue tracking, current development happens on github (afaik there were some historical reasons for this changing of platforms, google code didn't support any proper VCS except svn for the longest time and in order not to be bound to svn they went to bitbucket with mercurial and afterwards switched to github due to the bigger exposure and easier collaboration with the various forks)
Old 9th December 2014, 10:41 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Alright, thanks for the explanation. I'll check out their github sometime.
Old 10th December 2014, 01:54 AM

Mr. RPGMaster :

Pls, I do not know if you know tell me when there is a new version (?).

I have present the version 2.1.0.1.

Thank you so much.
Old 10th December 2014, 02:41 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy2014 View Post
Mr. RPGMaster :

Pls, I do not know if you know tell me when there is a new version (?).

I have present the version 2.1.0.1.

Thank you so much.
I honestly don't know when there will be a new version. I'm sure he will make an announcement when it happens.
Old 10th December 2014, 04:33 AM

If you want to download the latest mupen64plus binaries, google "mupen64plus-mxe-daily", choose the downloads page, and click "download repository" - 196.6MB.

Ignore the file size. The archive is actually 15-16MB. It contains both 32 and 64 bit versions of mupen64plus. Fascinatingly, the 64 bit version cures some rendering issues with Infernal Machine in dynarec - namely the terrain disappearing and portals not rendering correctly.

I can't get the new binaries to work correctly with the m64py frontend, though. I've ended up using mupen64plus-QT as a front-end, but I used m64py to configure controls, since QT has no control config menu.

I've noticed a rather alarming performance regression with the SSSE3 version of the cxd4 RSP plugin in the latest binaries when running Factor 5 games.

I mainly use mupen64plus for LLE stuff because I can't stand the way mupen64plus handles Glide64. Maybe GLideN64 will solve that problem.

As for mupen64plus's development, it's reasonably active. Dunno about the precise changes. Some talk about a new dynarec. Porting to android and rasberry pi seems to be a big focus. But the emulator's core has had some performance improvements since July 2013 (M64p 2.0 release date), according to the commit logs.
Old 10th December 2014, 05:24 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Last time I tried mxe daily, maybe like 1-2 months ago, a bunch of plugins didn't even work . Like Rice and Glide64. I could only pick plugins like z64gl and Glidemk2 (no thnx ).

Interesting that you mention 64bit. That kind of makes me want to do some 64bit programming, but I have too many things I want to do atm.

About that performance regression, it must bad compiler settings or something. I compiled HatCat's plugin with intel (SSSE3) and the performance was better than previous versions. SSSE3 still had a slight improvement over SSE2.

Rofl I wish m64p displayed the VI/s so I could see how the core speed compares with PJ64's. Maybe I'll check go download mupen64plus-mxe-daily again and see what's up. I'm glad M64p had performance improvements . Always good to hear!
Old 10th December 2014, 03:48 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambient_Malice View Post
I've noticed a rather alarming performance regression with the SSSE3 version of the cxd4 RSP plugin in the latest binaries when running Factor 5 games.
I can't remember. I moved some stuff around with the ARCH_MIN_SSE2 and ARCH_MIN_SSSE3 macros, and they might not have synced that or something. There was a recent commit where I addressed that; it just isn't pushed yet.