Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v1.6

Old 30th October 2009, 03:14 PM

Talking BEST settings for VIDEO plugins..

hello,
long time lurker here, finally decided to sign up. I have a question about JABO's DIRECT3D8 1.6 plugin, what are
the absolute best settings for graphics quallity? I tried that Mudlord's Rice Video Build 6.1.4... but that thing sucks
(i just figured I could get a little better graphics quallity out of it...NOT!). speed is a bit of an issue for my comp right
now, but i am getting a faster proccesor soon. I'm using PJ64 1.6 Offical version. any help would be greatly appreciated!

heres my comps current specs:

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.090803-2339)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Compaq-Presario
System Model: SR5210NX
BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/07/08 18:22:22 Ver: 08.00.13
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 420 @ 1.60GHz, ~1.6GHz
Memory: 3326MB RAM
Page File: 1222MB used, 5680MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9498)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Display Memory: 1914 MB
Dedicated Memory: 512 MB
hared Memory: 1407 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Monitor: SyncMaster T220HD/T220MD(Digital)
Driver Version: 8.14.0010.0697 (English)
DDI Version: 10.1

for example Perfect Dark runs at 36FPS:

and Turok runs at 60FPS(same settings):

Last edited by BIOSPHERE; 30th October 2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 31st October 2009, 09:26 PM

Thumbs up Found the cure (kinda)

download the 1964 Video Plugin 1.0.0 which cured the relativly slow FPS rates on the games that had slow FSP, along
with 99.9% video error messages under "rom notes". the only problem now is that the TEXT is some of the games
are mis-coloured (some letters have vertical bars running through them). havn't figured out how to fix that problem
yet. thanks for the help!

PS I tried using Mudlord's Rice Video Build 6.1.4 again but on full screen (1680x1050x59Hertz) the screen flickers alot.
Old 1st November 2009, 12:52 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Perfect Dark is slow due to processing in main memory. Changing the graphics plug-in may aid in sacrifice, but it won't cure anything related. You may or may not have found more issues in consequence...depends what you change to.
Old 4th November 2009, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIOSPHERE View Post
hello,
long time lurker here, finally decided to sign up. I have a question about JABO's DIRECT3D8 1.6 plugin, what are
the absolute best settings for graphics quallity? I tried that Mudlord's Rice Video Build 6.1.4... but that thing sucks
(i just figured I could get a little better graphics quallity out of it...NOT!). speed is a bit of an issue for my comp right
now, but i am getting a faster proccesor soon. I'm using PJ64 1.6 Offical version. any help would be greatly appreciated!

heres my comps current specs:

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.090803-2339)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Compaq-Presario
System Model: SR5210NX
BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/07/08 18:22:22 Ver: 08.00.13
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 420 @ 1.60GHz, ~1.6GHz
Memory: 3326MB RAM
Page File: 1222MB used, 5680MB available
Well.... your first problem is you're using a compaq, which makes terrible computers. Second, you're running vista, which is a terrible operating system. And third is you're running vista with a 1.6ghz celeron processor...your computer can probably barely handle running the operating system without the stress of any applications running. My suggestion is never buy compaq, or hp for that matter and never buy a low level processor such as a celeron. Core2 duo and higher for intel and athlon x2 or higher for amd. Gateway, Dell or custom built are your best bets for a good system.
Old 9th November 2009, 05:47 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchUncleSkeleton View Post
Well.... your first problem is you're using a compaq, which makes terrible computers. Second, you're running vista, which is a terrible operating system. And third is you're running vista with a 1.6ghz celeron processor...your computer can probably barely handle running the operating system without the stress of any applications running. My suggestion is never buy compaq, or hp for that matter and never buy a low level processor such as a celeron. Core2 duo and higher for intel and athlon x2 or higher for amd. Gateway, Dell or custom built are your best bets for a good system.
While it's nice to rag on vista, because it does tend to be very annoying and is not without it's MAJOR problems, I must concede that if you want a gaming rig, Vista is on par with Xp for directx 9 (xp leads a little), and is set up to use directx 10. This definitely wasn't the case when vista first came out, but now that the graphic drivers have had ample time to be updated, vista is just as good as xp...better on some tests and worse on others. Sorry to crash your bubble...I hate vista myself.
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...ce/default.asp

Secondly, while I used to rag on HP myself quite a bit simply because they did make really awful crappy computers, I'm not really sure that it is appropriate to rag on them anymore. They've really upped their program quite a bit, and actually make pretty decent computers nowadays. So as a former Hp hater myself, I'm also going to have to concede that the days to rag on Hp is probably over.

To be honest, I'm kind of surprised you recommended gateway and dell over hp. But to each his own I guess. Just know that Hp isn't what it used to be....it's a whole different ballgame now.
Old 29th November 2009, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
While it's nice to rag on vista, because it does tend to be very annoying and is not without it's MAJOR problems, I must concede that if you want a gaming rig, Vista is on par with Xp for directx 9 (xp leads a little), and is set up to use directx 10. This definitely wasn't the case when vista first came out, but now that the graphic drivers have had ample time to be updated, vista is just as good as xp...better on some tests and worse on others. Sorry to crash your bubble...I hate vista myself.

Secondly, while I used to rag on HP myself quite a bit simply because they did make really awful crappy computers, I'm not really sure that it is appropriate to rag on them anymore. They've really upped their program quite a bit, and actually make pretty decent computers nowadays. So as a former Hp hater myself, I'm also going to have to concede that the days to rag on Hp is probably over.

To be honest, I'm kind of surprised you recommended gateway and dell over hp. But to each his own I guess. Just know that Hp isn't what it used to be....it's a whole different ballgame now.
Vista might be a tad better than when it first came out but it's still a memory hog....it take 3 times the amount of ram just to run the operating system compared to xp. Now that 7 has arrived I'd either go there or go to xp, the choice is yours but seriously ditch vista(it's the ME of this generation).

I cannot agree on anything about hp being good.....I have worked on several newer hp computers(I am a computer tech by trade) including the dv2000 series and the dv7000 series and these are nothing but a pain in the a$$. Hp uses poor quality parts in their systems....I had malfunctioning video and wireless components in my dv2125, which I subsequently sent back to hp for replacement(after dealing with a bunch of idiots and finally having to write a letter to the president of the company to get them to replace it), which I sold after it was returned to dodge that bullet again. My mother owns a dv7000 series computer which had the hard drive die 1 year and one month after she bought it(so much for the warranty helping anything). Compaq has alway been a terrible computer....even before hp owned the company, they're just very low quality. Now onto why I prefer dell and gateway, I bought an inspiron e1505 over 2 years ago and I haven't had one problem with it since I got it and I bought my gf a vostro 1500 that I haven't had any problems with other than it running a bit hot due to the nvidia card it has....now in total on both laptops I only spent $540(yes I got them both used), I've never had or heard anyone who had any hardware problems with a gateway either, though I don't own one I have used several systems built by them. Many people I know who own HP computers have been having nothing but problems with them and they paid more for their 1 computer than I did for 2 that haven't had any problems.....I'll even go as far as recommending toshiba over HP.

Last edited by RchUncleSkeleton; 29th November 2009 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11th December 2009, 06:19 PM

You would be wise to recommend a Toshiba as they have the second lowest failure rate among laptops, even lower than Dell.

A little research...

If you would take notice that he stated he has over 3gb of ram and since Vista idles around 450mb, telling him that Vista sucks and is a memory hog is hardly helpful as his system can handle it quite well even on a 1.6ghz celeron. Also Vista is leagues away from being the pile that was ME and with SP2 runs far better than it did when it was first released.

So instead of just telling him that his computer sucks and so does his OS and processor, how about we answer his question and actually help the fellow out.

I have a netbook with a 1.6ghz atom that I run PJ64 on (quite well) and once I have it in front of me I will share with you any setting changes I have made.

Quick tip, running PJ64 at a lower resolution and full-screen will give you higher FPS than windowed.
Old 11th December 2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n5 View Post
You would be wise to recommend a Toshiba as they have the second lowest failure rate among laptops, even lower than Dell.

A little research...

If you would take notice that he stated he has over 3gb of ram and since Vista idles around 450mb, telling him that Vista sucks and is a memory hog is hardly helpful as his system can handle it quite well even on a 1.6ghz celeron. Also Vista is leagues away from being the pile that was ME and with SP2 runs far better than it did when it was first released.

So instead of just telling him that his computer sucks and so does his OS and processor, how about we answer his question and actually help the fellow out.

I have a netbook with a 1.6ghz atom that I run PJ64 on (quite well) and once I have it in front of me I will share with you any setting changes I have made.

Quick tip, running PJ64 at a lower resolution and full-screen will give you higher FPS than windowed.
Atom processors are much newer and far more advanced then the old Celeron's, so even though they're both 1.6ghz, your's will perform much better then his. You're right that he has sufficient ram, but it's his processor that is really slowing things down. RchUncleSkeleton was correct in saying that running any CPU intensive program on top of Vista with that processor is going to be slow.
Old 11th December 2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
This isn't quite true. XP has better memory management hands down over Vista, so while it may perform better on certain speed tests then XP, across a wide range of programs and games it lags behind. Gamers should stick with XP or upgrade to 7, especially with Directx 11 in the works.
Old 11th December 2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvation420 View Post
Atom processors are much newer and far more advanced then the old Celeron's, so even though they're both 1.6ghz, your's will perform much better then his. You're right that he has sufficient ram, but it's his processor that is really slowing things down. RchUncleSkeleton was correct in saying that running any CPU intensive program on top of Vista with that processor is going to be slow.
I understand that. (Also a computer tech) I didn't say it wouldn't but since the Atom has fantastic scaling capabilities, I have some experience running Vista and applications at low frequencies, as low as 650mhz. He also seems quite aware of his processor situation as he did say that he is getting a new one.

Mainly, RchUncleSkeleton went on to say that his computer, processor and OS suck without even addressing the man's real concern.

He won't be able to top Perfect Dark out but there may be some settings to help his situation improve slightly.

Cheers

Last edited by Ch3vr0n5; 11th December 2009 at 07:26 PM.