Old 18th March 2011, 04:34 PM
Project Supporter

Default Controller and performance issues

I'm currently using Project 1.6 and I must say it's quite stable for most of my games but there's two issues I have stumbled upon. First is movement. I use a Wii Classic Controller plugged in via USB/Wii adapter then via USB. It works great and all but apparently the emulator will not register diagonal movements. I can run forward, back, left and right but if I try forward/right at the same time in a game like Zelda Ocarina of Time, Mario 64 or Bomberman 64 the character will walk and not run. I was checking that modifier section with N-Rage Input Plugin which I use and I will see if I can come up with something but I was thinking anyone else knew how to work it out.

Now to performance. I don't exactly understand the technical terms behind en emulator environment in the first place so I may have misunderstood the meaning. Anyway..

I use MSI AfterBurner application to monitor my GPU info like temp, usage, fan (fan control) and framerates. Now both this app and FRAPS report that Zelda OoT runs at 20FPS which I would assume, since it's a DirectX hook the monitor apps use, is the game itself. It was perhaps locked at that framerate and I have no issues as long as it's as optimal as I can get it, it doesn't lag or anything. However, the emulator itself reports 60FPS (I have forced VSync to avoid abnormal speed when game speed is linked with framerates and I like a smooth frame). I don't think I have an issue exactly, I just need an explanation on this part and if it's possible, increase the game framerates.
Old 18th March 2011, 05:16 PM

Re. your controller problem - are you using the digital pad or analogue stick? I suspect you're on the D-pad, and that switching to the analogue stick should fix it.
It's because of a mismatch between the N64 analogue input and the digital signal you send. I guess because when you press left and up simultaneously the direction is read right but the magnitude is set to 1/sqrt(2) of what it should be. Possibly twice at different levels? (making it 1/2?)
Old 18th March 2011, 05:35 PM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alunalun View Post
Re. your controller problem - are you using the digital pad or analogue stick? I suspect you're on the D-pad, and that switching to the analogue stick should fix it.
It's because of a mismatch between the N64 analogue input and the digital signal you send. I guess because when you press left and up simultaneously the direction is read right but the magnitude is set to 1/sqrt(2) of what it should be. Possibly twice at different levels? (making it 1/2?)
No, I use the first analogue stick to move, second for C-buttons and D-pad for the actual D-pad.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:05 PM

Oh OK. That's odd.
Try adjusting the analogue stick range then, in the N-rage configuration menu. You should be able to run diagonally then, although you might find the left/right/up/down directions quite sensitive. Give it a try.
Old 20th March 2011, 12:50 AM
Project Supporter

Weird. It seems it's working now when I changed from Rice/Jado's GPU plugin to Glide64 but I lost L and R buttons. It seems it can only register a few buttons but the L and R buttons are usually an issue with other emulations as well. The diagonal movement has never been a problem before though.

EDIT: I just tried, apparently it works fine now. Interesting that Glide64 seemed to fix so much including flawless gameplay with the high res texture for Ocarina. This is great as N64 is the emulator I have been using least in the past so I have a lot of games to catch up on.

Last edited by Ertzok; 20th March 2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 20th March 2011, 03:01 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Changing the video plugin to affect that issue I think more coincidence along something else, but if it's fixed with things working fine, then Glide64 is a good plugin to go along with that.