Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v1.6

Old 27th May 2014, 11:24 PM

Thumbs up The Optimal Plugins, settings & other stuff for Intel Atom Netbook

Hi guys. after how long it took me to fiddle with settings, change plugins, and other stuff, I finally found a plugin setup that works really well with (hopefully) any Intel Atom notebook!

Since I know how most people simply refuse to share info or don't give the right info, (Glide64 is supposed to be fast, but it kept crashing on my Dell Mini 9) I have decided to share my settings with you guys! this way, you guys don't have to dive into hell to find what you're looking for like i did!

So here goes:

Project64 version: 1.6 (or 2.1, if you think this is faster for your laptop)
Plugins:
  • Video Plugin: RiceVideo Plugin
  • Audio Plugin: your preference
  • Input Plugin: your preference, recommended: NRages Input Plugin

Video Plugin settings:
  • in General tab (make sure Hide advanced settings is unticked before doing this!)
    • render engine: DirectX (mainly your preference, but OpenGL was really buggy for me!)
    • resolution: 320x240 (or 640x480, something low enough to work with)
    • rate: 60Hz. DO NOT USE DEFAULT HERTZ!
    • Color depth: mainly your preference, but 16-bit for small speed-up
    • Skip frame: enabled
    • Enable fog: your preference, recommended: on.
  • in DirectX tab:
    • Combiner type: to fit card. if you're daring, try pixel shader!
    • Swap Effect: MUST be copy to avoid flickering in full screen mode!
    • Depth Buffer: 32-bit signed. try decreasing for speedup, but there may be clipping problems if you do this.
    • force software transform and lighting: off
    • Using software vertex clipping: on. (this might help avoid artifacts from using a 16-bit depth buffer)
  • in Texture Filters tab:
    • texture quality: default. (or 16-bit for speedup)
    • force texture filter: nearest or default N64 filter.
  • in Game Default options:
    • Accurate texture mapping: your preference. if in SSB, you notice artifacts where pikachu's cheeks stretch, turn this off to correct it.
    • frame buffer emulation: your preference, needed for some games. use "basic framebuffer" for speedup. (not quite tested though...)
And there you go. Enjoy! And please give feedback if it works or you need help getting this working!

There is a known issue with 2.1 crashing the windows vista kernel driver, and was fixed by Microsoft in an update. Someone on this thread posted a link, so you can either use that link, or look for update KB2808735.

Last edited by FuzzyQuills; 28th May 2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 28th May 2014, 04:35 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Is there any particular reason why you choose to use 1.6? I don't think it's the best default emulator. If after doing several tests for the games you play and you find out 1.6 runs better for those games, then yes, it's good to use. Otherwise, there are better emulators. For instance, I did extensive testing with SSB64 and pj2.1 is clearly better. 2.1 has a faster core than 1.6, which is important for laptops. The fastest emulator I've ever seen is 1964 0.85. I have yet to see any emulator beat it in speed.

What games do you play? Because I could never get rice video to look normal.. So i usually use Jabo. Still if you can get it running and look normal, then I'd say Rice is a good plugin.

Glide64 is by no means fast. Despite its high cpu usage, I think it's probably the best hle gfx plugin though.
Old 28th May 2014, 05:13 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

It's a little pleasing to see people recommending Rice's plugin (preferrably 6.1.0, 5.9.9, or 1964 Video 1.0 which is really just RiceVideo 5.9.9 I think). Actually it was my favorite for a long time because of the flexibility, and I really liked its interface. Still, it goes without saying that it has too many cover-ups/hacks for some improperly simulated stuff, which no amount of tweaking in the INI config file will necessarily fix.
Old 28th May 2014, 08:43 AM

@HatCat: good to hear! of course, it would be nice to be able to emulate billboards properly with that plugin... :/

@RPGMaster: well, i could use 2.1... IF ONLY IT DIDN'T CRASH THE VISTA KERNEL DRIVER!
You may have heard about the win32k.sys error that 2.1 causes in win7, any known fix for vista so i can happily recommend this version?
Old 28th May 2014, 09:14 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Oh sorry, I was unaware of that. I think I've seen other people mention this problem, but I've never seen it myself. I have a win7 64bit laptop.

I wonder what the cause is. In that case, i can't blame you for using 1.6 lol. I still recommend you try 1964 if/when pj64 is using too much cpu.

If the crash has happened to you, can you elaborate what you were doing when it happened?
Old 28th May 2014, 03:16 PM
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyQuills View Post
@RPGMaster: well, i could use 2.1... IF ONLY IT DIDN'T CRASH THE VISTA KERNEL DRIVER!
You may have heard about the win32k.sys error that 2.1 causes in win7, any known fix for vista so i can happily recommend this version?
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=38232

Srsly, this was 2 seconds of searching for bsod on this forum, getting the KB Nr. and then appending Vista on a google search
Old 28th May 2014, 10:58 PM

Thanks V1del! May try later on today when i get home. And it is the bug when you start a game, then the BSOD crashes with win32k.sys being the problem.

And thanks again for pointing me to this link. now, i can recommend 2.1! (and also have the links there for those experiencing the crash

@RPGMaster: the fact that you are using a 64-bit windows laptop... this means you probably have the update installed already, which would be why you don't have the crashes related to win32k.sys. Anyway, this is getting a bit off-topic...

BTW, i recommended N rage Input because it seems you can hot-plug controllers with it...

Last edited by FuzzyQuills; 28th May 2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 29th May 2014, 06:42 AM

nemu64 is actually the fastest recompiler but whatever
Old 30th May 2014, 03:43 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by run of the mill twat View Post
nemu64 is actually the fastest recompiler but whatever
I call BS!
Old 30th May 2014, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGMaster View Post
I call BS!
i dunno about netbooks, but nemu is the fastest on a pentium III 450MHz (using jabo's 3d8; the default graphics plugin in nemu is ridiculously slow)