Old 10th April 2015, 01:10 AM

Default Future of PJ64 Site.

I was wondering what plans are in place to update the Project 64 web presence. In particular, stuff like a wiki with individual pages for games and a more logical forum layout since the current one is geared around PJ64 1.6 being the main version.

Also, stuff like blog updates and progress reports and maybe a donation system or whatever. I think it'd be very nice to able to say every few months "Look, here is what is happening." PJ64 doesn't have enough activity to warrant monthly status updates, but a think a few a year would be doable.

I'd certainly be happy to help write the wiki if and when we get one.
Old 10th April 2015, 01:14 AM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

yes now that 2.2 is out I would like to redo the site .. the forum probably stays as is. The main site can be totally re-done .. there is probably no need for login to the site or the 1.7 alpha/beta versions there.

is there a site that you like to use as a reference?
Old 10th April 2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Dolphin website.
Old 10th April 2015, 09:13 AM

dolphin's website has source code available, just so you know
(github/dolphin-emu/www)
Old 10th April 2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilmar View Post
yes now that 2.2 is out I would like to redo the site .. the forum probably stays as is. The main site can be totally re-done .. there is probably no need for login to the site or the 1.7 alpha/beta versions there.

Either Dolphin or PCSX2 seems like a good wiki model. As for the main site, Dolphin's official site seems like a good reference.
Old 10th April 2015, 12:40 PM
Core Team
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter
Administrator

what do you like about those sites
Old 10th April 2015, 12:49 PM

Dolphin website is pretty informative, you have easy access to every single daily/hourly build, and each month they expose in a blog post the advancement achieved in the emulator, with dummy-proof explanations.

Actually, i think is the best emulation website hands down.
Old 10th April 2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilmar View Post
what do you like about those sites
Dolphin/PCSX2 have similar wikis. I especially like how each game gets a wiki page that is also linked to a forum thread. (With the game's wiki page automatically displayed as OP.) So discussion about a single game can be contained to a single thread. Also, the Dolphin front page has an eye catching array of screenshots that really drive home the potential offered by emulation. (We could have some really nice screenshots once GLideN64 is released, especially of Rogue Squadron and various games.) I'm wary of making PJ64 too much like Dolphin, but I certainly think they've got a good site template.

I think the key is that the front page be elegant and focused. "Click here to download". (Link to the download page which offers current stable build bot builds below it. "Old" stable builds should ideally be hidden away behind "Click here to see older versions" or something lik that.) Nice elegant button on the front page, surrounded be an assortment of excellent images (Bearing in mind that stuff comes with bandwidth overheads.) Submenus like the download menu should be simple and minimalistic.
Old 22nd April 2015, 11:45 PM

Default Oho~

Indeed~... *observes with a monocle*