Old 6th July 2009, 05:45 PM
Project Supporter

Default A speed up option, with controler support.

It would be really nice to be able to speed up the emulator with the touch of a button.

I mean it would lower the frame rate to something like 7, or 15, fps and make use of all cpu power it can get to cause the game to go -- up to, not exceeding, or allow the user to place a cap where they want it -- 500 times the normal speed so that a player can plow through the monotonous parts of a game, and make it so that a player can use a button on the controller to do so.

This is always useful for an emulator to have, and since PJ64 usually doesn't use up much of the cpu on the average 2Ghz computer there shouldn't be much of a problem.

Old 6th July 2009, 10:42 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

There might be a similar control for this in the System menu.
If you hit F4 how does that work?

Forcing a speed ratio I don't think has ever been implemented.
Old 7th July 2009, 01:45 AM
Project Supporter

Well it doesn't work in 1.6. I guess I should wait until 1.7 works for me.

I don't see the option to speed up anywhere on the 1.7 emulator.

Also it wouldn't be forcing the speed ratio, but setting a limit on the fastest it could go. So you can't go faster than 500 times the normal speed or something like that. This way the option would still be useable for people who have extremely fast computers.

Again, if they already have the speed up, it would be useful to have the ability to set a button on your controler to speed up.

Old 7th July 2009, 02:04 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

If you want it to speed up turn of Limit FPS from the System menu does that.

if that's not what you want that's what I'm trying to find out
Old 7th July 2009, 09:00 AM
Project Supporter

I'll have to check it out once it the new emulator starts working for me. I think that is exactly what I was thinking of.

It would be nice if you could activate that option by pressing and/or holding a button on the controler though, rather than having to go through a system menu.

Old 7th July 2009, 09:51 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

It would be useful if you could set a specific frame limit take the classic case of NTSC VS PAL. NTSC has 60 FPS and pal has 50, so why use PAL, because PAL games are more patched and less buggy then NTSC game eg GoldenEye the PAL version has better collision detection and the proxy/remote/timed mines work properly, but it doesn't have the 60 FPS if it did that would be great.
Old 7th July 2009, 03:06 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Audio sync must not be enabled.
(Options:Configure Audio Plugin...)

If "Sync game to Audio" is on speed is forced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmarock64 View Post
It would be useful if you could set a specific frame limit take the classic case of NTSC VS PAL. NTSC has 60 FPS and pal has 50, so why use PAL, because PAL games are more patched and less buggy then NTSC game eg GoldenEye the PAL version has better collision detection and the proxy/remote/timed mines work properly, but it doesn't have the 60 FPS if it did that would be great.
There used to be an option for NTSC/PAL framerate design in Project64, (If you check 1.0 it was still there.) but now it just automatically detects. Overriding the correct scheme is not valued for its inaccuracy, but I use the PAL version of VC64 solely because it is 50 VI/s so that I can speed analysis up better.

The actual speed in FPS you understand is dynamic, but I guess some people don't care. As of 1.7 beta this label is changed to vertical interrupts per second "VI/s", measuring the frequency of complete screen updates in Project64 in a row-linear pixel-by-pixel pattern. FPS is the internal geometry speed, which is designed in the game, usually highly variant, and can only be changed by overclocking the speed or hacking the game.
VI/s is rate of screen update.

So the true label is actually VI/s rather than FPS, in case you'd like to know the concept.
Old 7th July 2009, 05:37 PM
Project Supporter

Yeah that's right.
FPS is the frames per second for calculation, VIS is the visual refresh rate.
--
what I should have been saying is that it would be nice to be able to lower the VIS so that you could fast-forward at a higher rate.
--
It would also be good to have the ability to lower the VIS if you're computer is slow. Because that should keep the calculation frame rate up.
--
Most likely the reason why the pal version has better collision detection is because more of the processor is being used to calculate the detection rather than print to the screen.