Old 20th July 2009, 12:48 AM

Default best settings?

okay so i downloaded the newest project 64 1.6 the other day and i have a bunch of games. but often it will run choppy, or the audio will lag (a good example is on the Donkey Kong 64 intro, it always is behind). in general project 64 works but is just a little frustrating. all of the plugins are jabo's, and it doesn't matter what my computer's specs are because they are, by far, exceeding any requirements.

i would just like to know, what are all the settings that i can choose to increase the performance while also having maximum video quality? like cpu core style, self-mod code method, memory size, advanced block linking, counter factor, along with anything else you can think of, including better plugins.

also does it really depend on the game?
Old 20th July 2009, 01:11 PM

You should do searches for something like this. Optimal settings (even if you're hoping to "turn everything down" for best speed) will depend very much on the game you're playing and the hardware you're playing on.

And it *does* matter what your computer specs are, regardless of how much they exceed the "requirements". I have a few computers that far exceed even the "Recommended system configuration", and I still have very different configurations on each one.

Your best bet is to find threads (here and elsewhere) that discuss best/fastest settings with individual plugins (and which ones work best for different people), and of course read the help files that come with Project64 (they're actually pretty helpful). After setting things up from what you've learned after that... If a game or two still gives you a lot of trouble (games like StarCraft, which require very specific plugins/configurations to run properly), do a search specifically on that game to find more information on how to get it running properly.
Old 21st July 2009, 06:40 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Known issue for Donkey Kong 64
As mentioned it does depend on the game; where are you having low speeds?
Old 22nd July 2009, 06:20 AM

thank you for the information Game.

here are a few examples of when it is slow:
Duke Nukem 64- Hollywood Homicide multi-player level. especially in the arcade room

Goldeneye- when i switch a weapon, it "chops" up to when the weapon is fully out. so when i press to switch weapons the game freezes for a half second, then continues. very annoying. as well as frequent choppiness in general.

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire- on the second level (escape from hoth) it is constantly flashing.

also i have another question. is it necessary to unzip z64 files? because it doesn't seem to make a difference if it's unzipped or zipped.
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:54 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

ZIP compression may still be subject to load, but uncompressed files load into memory faster for Project64 to start the game sooner.

No compressed images can be directly loaded to Project64, so if necessary they are uncompressed before game start either way. While playing there is no such relation to game speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire- on the second level (escape from hoth) it is constantly flashing.
Set Direct3D Clear Mode to "Only per frame".
To change this setting go through Options/Configure Graphics Plugin....
To experiment you may need to disable option to hide advanced settings.

Some of the slow speed issues may be related to the microcode engine, but they have not been reported. For example, in my case, GoldenEye runs fine on my system. I highly doubt I have better system specs than you.

Like Game also said, that information still counts. It would help if you posted what you can about your hardware and software.