Go Back   Project64 Forums > Public Version > Project 64 - v1.6

Old 7th August 2009, 10:45 PM

Default Possible Project64 Port to The Homebrew Channel?

I recently started using The Homebrew Channel for Wii and came across Wii64. It is a Mupen64 port for The Homebrew Channel. It got me thinking that Project64 should be ported to The Homebrew Channel because it is far superior to Mupen64.

Mozilla FireFox and The Angry Video Game Nerd aren't gods.

Last edited by wildgoosespeeder; 7th August 2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 7th August 2009, 11:03 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Why is Project64 superior?
Old 8th August 2009, 01:09 AM

Compared to the other N64 emulators I've tried, Project64 v1.6 has the least amount of errors when playing games.

Mozilla FireFox and The Angry Video Game Nerd aren't gods.
Old 8th August 2009, 01:55 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

What errors should I be on the watch for if I decide to use Mupen64?
Old 8th August 2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswedlow View Post
What errors should I be on the watch for if I decide to use Mupen64?
Graphical issues, framerate problems, choppy sound, etc....

I would think it would be a great idea, would prevent a lot of people bricking their wii cause they try doing a .wad install for the VC.
Old 8th August 2009, 04:04 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeth Alkar View Post
Graphical issues, framerate problems, choppy sound, etc....
Though those are all tied to the plug-ins that could be used with it, unless you mean external/emulated frame rate (VI/s).

I'm impressed with the first answer. The default GPU for Mupen64 is Glide64, which is widely supported by more experienced users. I could never get it to work, so I honestly actually don't know that much about it, but I haven't read much about graphics emulation issues with Glide64. Lately Glide64 dev has been fixing a lot that other plug-ins don't support (things like microcode relations or blender tricks going on with Ogre Battle 64).
If this appeals for you someone wrote a list that tested plug-ins.
http://bmgcl.emuxhaven.net/n64mgcl/N64ConfigList.htm

Choppy sound the default sound-processing main plug-in for that is Azimer's, which is HLE as opposed to Jabo's and should have Emulate/Simulate AI compatibility disabled for better sound.

But what I mean is permanent to Mupen64?
What is it that surpasses Project64 so far?
Old 8th August 2009, 07:31 AM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswedlow View Post
Though those are all tied to the plug-ins that could be used with it, unless you mean external/emulated frame rate (VI/s).

I'm impressed with the first answer. The default GPU for Mupen64 is Glide64, which is widely supported by more experienced users. I could never get it to work, so I honestly actually don't know that much about it, but I haven't read much about graphics emulation issues with Glide64. Lately Glide64 dev has been fixing a lot that other plug-ins don't support (things like microcode relations or blender tricks going on with Ogre Battle 64).
If this appeals for you someone wrote a list that tested plug-ins.
http://bmgcl.emuxhaven.net/n64mgcl/N64ConfigList.htm

Choppy sound the default sound-processing main plug-in for that is Azimer's, which is HLE as opposed to Jabo's and should have Emulate/Simulate AI compatibility disabled for better sound.

But what I mean is permanent to Mupen64?
What is it that surpasses Project64 so far?
your computer should be capable of running glide 64...

exactly what is the problem?

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:ROG PG279Q, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Old 8th August 2009, 07:31 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

If somebody actually tried they could have the reference to be able to relate Mupen64.
For the sake of others, I haven't so used Mupen64. I have used Project64 99% of my leisure play.

Everyone, including zilmar, relied on the fact that Project64 is simply more popular. They don't really know anything about Mupen64; they just see a different interface and then leave to what already makes them happy.
Otherwise after four years I would have gotten a description by now. The best case scenario, answer is a couple games reported by someone else to not work on Mupen64. Statistically, there are more of those in areas with Project64.
Pathetic optimism is one reason this scene is dying. It's nothing new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall_Leonhart View Post
your computer should be capable of running glide 64...

exactly what is the problem?
Unfortunately I can't really answer that.

If I need to test I can usually get Glide64 to work.
Actually I should have said through the many systems I've used, something about it was always really sensitive to Glide64.
On my old FX5200 was the worst case when my screen was always black, yet I could tell things were being rendered. The only exception I tested was Zelda OOT or games with flickering issues as I intentionally had set up for, in which where a plug-in flickers the screen to black, Glide64 flickers it to display for me. But generally screen always showed black.
This was after I did a driver update from Microsoft's default drivers, back then where I got a bunch of wrapper failure messages.

Today with my current specs it's just I need to be really careful about the configurations. The new software depth buffer rendering I can get to work and shows objects nicely, but any time I make changes to config while a game is running the screen is never again updated until restart. If I use certain combinations, the screen is always black, once again.
With over half of the games I have tested, Glide64 results in well below full speed (even if the screen is black). These games I could see were full speed back with WinXP and my worse drivers complex.

There's also randomization, e.g. this just in, now I can't get the screen to display no matter what settings I use. Basically, long ago, I've just given up seriously trying to study with Glide64, because all of my systems have been so sensitive to it, coincidentally I guess.
Old 15th November 2009, 10:38 PM
Alpha Tester
Project Supporter

Rswedlow,

So are you saying that instead of asking to port pj64 to the wii we should attempt to target plugin developers to port their plugins to the wii? Because deep down we don't know if the base pj64 is any better or worse than mupen, so it's up to the plugins to make everything better?

Sorry if I got it wrong, I'm just trying to summarize what you said.
Old 16th November 2009, 12:59 AM

I've had a look at the PJ64 1.4 source which is publically available and it just wouldn't be possible for the Wii to have PJ64 ported to it. I'm speaking out of experience as I am one of the coders responsible for the port of Mupen64 (aka Wii64) to the Wii. The two main showstoppers for us not porting it are: 1. It requires more memory than the Wii has to offer. 2. There's a lot of x86 code we didn't want to have to sift through.

The reason we chose Mupen64 is that it had a lighter memory footprint than PJ64 which we've been able to even further reduce. Albeit Mupen64 doesn't have certain game specific hacks like PJ64 has (for increased compatibility/speed), it's pretty good in general and we hope to maximize compatibility in the upcoming versions.